London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Street Saturation Policy

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8
Monday 10 October 2011 4.25pm
Oi! What's with all the squabbling? I can't even hear myself vertical drinking anymore!
Monday 10 October 2011 4.29pm
Art Gallery = not a lot of noise in the evening

Massive new boozer = plenty 'o' noise in the evening

As I said earlier I sleep pretty well but there's been A LOT of late night noise over the past few weeks. I'm putting it down to good weather for the time being but maybe the street is just a lot more on the late night radar now.. Yes I could go for a big bar/restaurant thingy but at the expense of ruining the vibe of the street (which if it's that big - i know the space - it's big - it will change the vibes massively) then no thanks.

Just go look at Shoreditch High St to see how this could end up.

Not groovy at all.

Get the late night places in the arches along druid st etc.. that would be ACE!
Monday 10 October 2011 5.48pm
Runningman hi. Maybe I am wrong but I think (recall) that the arches of Druid street will be used by TFL like storage, as they are accessible by lorries...
I thought the same solution but It might be possible
Monday 10 October 2011 6.34pm
therunningman wrote:
Get the late night places in the arches along druid st etc.. that would be ACE!

But the entire length of Druid street is residential on the north side. Lots of families too.
Monday 10 October 2011 7.16pm
In fact I got confused. The access to the storages should be from the arches of bermondsey street. North/east side bit.. I am not sure they will take all the volume available.
I believe that could have been a good space for fancy bars and experiments. As well In replacement of the cable club. It is shame it will go to them.
Monday 10 October 2011 9.48pm
orione wrote:
Hi BiscuitDaddy.
I agree with the sentiment of your post and your concerns.

Can I ask you a question:

How would you maintain that mix you talk about?

Boozers and bars all thrive whether other kind of shops do not.

Is it the local population who chose drink rather than anything else?

Can the council plan the kind of shops that will populate the street, if they fail to make profit?

I would love to have a better mix, but how can you attract different retails or make them survive?

Thank you

Hi Orione,

The council does have options to protect the diversity the street currently enjoys. Designating the retail premises as 'protected frontages' would be a start (and would have made it much more difficult for the applicant to get change of use in the case of Mainray House). Such a policy is already in place on Tower Bridge Road and The Blue so why not on Bermondsey Street with a mix that is just as worthy of protection as these two locations? Also, the council can extend the licensing 'saturation zone' to encompass the rest of Bermondsey Street (the section of the street north of the junction with St.Thomas's street is already in the zone). This would limit the number of new licenses that can be granted in the street. Local Councillor Mark Gettleson is already lobbying to achieve just these twin objectives as is covered in the news section on this site.

I disagree that bars are the only sort of business that can thrive here. Surely Bermondsey Street proves exactly the opposite there is great diversity of successful retail here and an exciting new dimension is due to be added with the opening of White Cube tomorrow night. A truly world class gallery (to join the other fine galleries already established here) points to a more ambitious future for the street than just giving it over to a procession of bars and restaurants.

The council can act to preserve sites like this for retail enterprises and let the businesses take care of themselves. Even in the current economic climate there are numerous successful businesses out there (retail / creative etc.) that would relish the opportunity to take over a large site in the middle of the street just a few doors down from White Cube and with the Shard around the corner. Mainray House presents a fantastic opportunity to make a more imaginative, positive contribution to the street with far less negative impact on the local residents than just another bar/restaurant.
Monday 10 October 2011 10.03pm
shaggy wrote:
in short Orione you can't. There is simply not the footfall to sustain a large retail premises on that site, especially with the looming economic crisis. In all likelihood it would revert to a non descript office.
I must admit reading BiscuitDaddys description of the proposed new restaurant/bar I am even more in favour...

Hi Shaggy,

Have to disagree about sustaining a retail premises on the site. Terra Plana actually moved out in search of larger premises because they were doing so well not because they were floundering there. A decent, well run retail business will thrive in this location.
Tuesday 11 October 2011 8.42am
Hi BiscuitDaddy. Thank you for you answer. With your vision We would live in a more interesting place. I hope you succeed. I truly believe we have enough bars and restaurants. I miss the rest. Less from tomorrow when the White cube opens hopefully.
Let us know your progress.
Tuesday 11 October 2011 10.00am
BiscuitDaddy wrote:
there are numerous successful businesses out there (retail / creative etc.) that would relish the opportunity to take over a large site in the middle of the street just a few doors down from White Cube and with the Shard around the corner.

Who you think those businesses are, and how do you know this?
Tuesday 11 October 2011 11.04am
ceity slicker wrote:
Afternoon, Lucy,
I suppose the thing is that you can't have both an art gallery and a bar in the same space (pace the Igloo and Cave mixed flower/gift/wine format on Bermondsey Street!). If new bars are the default setting, where do your wished-for art galleries go ?

So given your previous expression of enthusiasm for new art galleries opening on Bermondsey Street on the back of White Cube (ta-raaa...opening preview tomorrow night!) and given the fact that the former Terra Plana property is only about 50 metres away from White Cube, I was intrigued to find out which of the two you would prefer in that location, if it was up to you : an art gallery or a bar ?

Ah - I see what you're saying. good question! I would prefer - a great bar that's also an art gallery, like the Vietnamese place. Sorry, just being a bit facetious. To be honest, I'm not sure; depends on the proposal
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions