London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Street Saturation Policy

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8
Tuesday 11 October 2011 11.39am
lucysalisbury wrote:
ceity slicker wrote:
Afternoon, Lucy,
I suppose the thing is that you can't have both an art gallery and a bar in the same space (pace the Igloo and Cave mixed flower/gift/wine format on Bermondsey Street!). If new bars are the default setting, where do your wished-for art galleries go ?

So given your previous expression of enthusiasm for new art galleries opening on Bermondsey Street on the back of White Cube (ta-raaa...opening preview tomorrow night!) and given the fact that the former Terra Plana property is only about 50 metres away from White Cube, I was intrigued to find out which of the two you would prefer in that location, if it was up to you : an art gallery or a bar ?

Ah - I see what you're saying. good question! I would prefer - a great bar that's also an art gallery, like the Vietnamese place. Sorry, just being a bit facetious. To be honest, I'm not sure; depends on the proposal

Bonjour, Lucy,

On that basis, I suppose that we should wish for an art gallery with bar opening hours, or a bar with art gallery hours - my turn to be facetious. Sorry!

But seriously, I can't think of the potential downside impact for residents of a new art gallery (suggestions, please...), whereas several Bermondsey Street posters on this thread have been quite articulate about the detriments of yet another bar.

For my part, I think that now is the ideal time to "give Art a chance".
Tuesday 11 October 2011 1.57pm
Is there any "like it" option to mark ceity slicker's post? :)
Tuesday 11 October 2011 4.48pm
Nope. But you just did :-)
Tuesday 11 October 2011 8.04pm
Anyone know what's happening with Antico - due to open in the old antiques building at the B Sq end of B St?
Tuesday 11 October 2011 9.39pm
slicker says: "But seriously, I can't think of the potential downside impact for residents of a new art gallery (suggestions, please...), whereas several Bermondsey Street posters on this thread have been quite articulate about the detriments of yet another bar. "

Lets not overlook the fact that quite a few have been articulate in their support for another bar(s)/restaurant and do not share the view that we are now at some saturation point (however random and/or subjective).

If anyone wanted to see the detriments of yet another art gallery, all they had to do was stroll past the White Cube preview this evening. Hundreds of people milling about (some looked suspiciously like vertical drinkers), spilling out onto the road, people trying to make their way homes or out for the evening forced onto the roadway to get past, filling (and spilling out of) more than one bar (even drinking on the road at one point on the street!!!), traffic slowed to a standstill, cars parked everywhere, bicycles chained 2 and 3 deep along the full length of the fence on the bermondsey street side of the village green and - shreik - even to the trees inside the green!

I welcome White Cube with open arms and think they're a welcome addition, but I fail to see how this is any 'better' than a bar. Surely the view that we simply must not have another bar falls away when the uber-cool art gallery brings much the same nuisance that so many complain of to justify placing restrictions on - and prevent the licensing of - local eateries and drinking establishments. But hey, ho...live and let live I say. Much like the ongoing development and maturation of bermondsey street, this is surely a debate that could go on for quite some time. I do suspect, however, that there will be more than one curtain twitching tonight.
Tuesday 11 October 2011 9.55pm
Could it not just be the vernissage which is always a peculiar event. I struggle to see art visitors getting smashed in the street... It would be the first art gallery to cause binge drinking. Let's have hope... For the future.
Wednesday 12 October 2011 12.03pm
deek, the crowds at White Cube will hardly be a daily, weekly or even monthly event.

I thought there was a terrific atmosphere in the street; I've seen far worse behaviour on a Friday and Saturday, outside/close to the bars/pubs in the street.
Thursday 13 October 2011 10.13am
There was a delegation on this subject at last night's Southwark Council assembly.

Write-up to follow today or tomorrow, but in the meantime here's the audio (the very beginning is missing unfortunately).

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 29 October 2011 10.15pm
thank god the council saw some common sense, the superlatives didn't manage to convince. The problem i'm having is that i fail to see what has changed on the street in the last 4-5 years.....where is this 'profileration of large bars' at? Seriously....recnetly a caf was turned into the fabulous new Jose, Zucca opened up...i'm struggling to think of anything else. These NIMBY's paint a very different portrait. Masses coming from all corners of london, stag and hen parties (shouldn't they, then, lobby to shut down Think Apartments?) One woman claims to know that the well heeled men pishing in the park are 'well spoken'.....so she's had a dialogue with them?

Hopefully all those opposed to this will stand by their principles with the greatest of integrity, and the rest of us will not have to see them at the opening night (or any evening at all) for what promises to be a fantastic new addition to B-street.

As a local resident, the drinking establishments are far too busy, and in a free market that means that it is likely that others will open up. Long may it continue.
Saturday 29 October 2011 11.23pm
better successful businesses employing people and providing services than empty shops ...look at borough high street as an example of dereliction taken to the extreme
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions