London SE1 community website

Southwark Free School - Peter John's comments

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Sunday 16 October 2011 7.58pm
i am pretty sure they are free to deveop their own curriculums outside of the national curriculum, which is these days pretty much defunct anyway
Sunday 16 October 2011 9.11pm
Wow, all the secondary schools in Southwark are voluntary aided or academies? Thank you, James. Boroughonian, free schools do not have to follow the national curriculum, but come up with their own, as long as it is “broad and balanced”. The same is true for older academies.
It is probably not critical for primary education; I can’t imagine people would disagree much on what 4-11 year olds should learn. It could be a bit trickier for secondary schools, but it is difficult to tell if a national curriculum is necessarily better than a parent/teacher/other sponsor set one. After all, public schools have never followed the national curriculum.
Monday 17 October 2011 5.00pm
I am in 2 minds about this as a parent who went through all of the hassles of trying to find a secondary school last year. We need another school in southwark as there are not enough schools to cover the children leaving primary schools but the funding from the government is not there-something to do with not getting the monies until a new school can be filled?? I am sure someone will be able to fill me in on the detailed reasoning!!

We need a new school and to my mind the education of the kids must be the first priority. I do not like the idea of a two school system and believe the education authority should be fully responsible for the running of all the schools in the borough. However, if this is the only way we can get the school place we need then i think it is better than the alternative of kids without schools
Tuesday 18 October 2011 8.58pm
An initiative which is so enthusiastically pushed by the Tories will always make me deeply suspicious.
Tuesday 18 October 2011 9.48pm
Tories or not, the thing that does worry me is even if these schools will be parent or teacher controlled, they are centrally funded and imposed. Freedom given not earned is no freedom at all. At any time, these schools can be Whitehall controlled and ignore what is happening locally.
Tuesday 18 October 2011 11.09pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
An initiative which is so enthusiastically pushed by the Tories will always make me deeply suspicious.

I have to worry that this is,on the face of it,a good idea,but 5-10 yrs time you wonder how you was ever suckered into it.
Time will tell but i'm bound to be suspicous that this is another act of social cleansing,maybe i'm being unfair,hope so!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions