London SE1 community website

Roundabout at TBR and Great Dover

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Wednesday 9 November 2011 4.31pm
Jamesup, because it is such a narrow street it would make sense if the access was only from great dover street, can't for the life of me think of the correct term for a jutting out pavement, don't think its a wayleave as my friend has just told me..
Wednesday 9 November 2011 6.41pm
Ughhhh -- what a sad video! You can really see the devastation of the neighborhood from that hunk of concrete.

I agree that it would be unfortunate if the only thing replacing the flyover were more "cool, trendy, hip, but really cheap, plastic, tin" flats, but those would only have to be built if that is what the community allows to be built. There's no reason there couldn't be more lovely, traditional-looking town homes like the "new" ones built opposite Roebuck/student housing.

I know this sounds a bit dramatic, but the real issue with the flyover is not the flyover, but the psychological damage -- it tells residents, as well as future investors, that this is a place not worth caring about, a place, well, to "fly over" on one's way to greener pastures.

The community deserves better than this...
Wednesday 9 November 2011 7.12pm
[

I know this sounds a bit dramatic, but the real issue with the flyover is not the flyover, but the psychological damage -- it tells residents, as well as future investors, that this is a place not worth caring about, a place, well, to "fly over" on one's way to greener pastures.

The community deserves better than this...[/quote]

I fully agree: well said
Wednesday 9 November 2011 11.16pm
^ [round of applause]
Wednesday 9 November 2011 11.28pm
Thank you!
Thursday 10 November 2011 7.02pm
I live right next to the flyover and have to say I quite enjoy watching the traffic going past my kitchen window but maybe I've been psychologically damaged by the proximity
Tuesday 22 November 2011 10.30pm
I have sent some ideas to TfL about simple and quick ways to improve the Bricklayers Arms junction.

Money is very tight right now in the public sector, but here is a summary of the proposals:

- provide the missing at grade crossing to NE corner of junction to enable complete 360 access at ground level

- this enables the subways to be filled-in and provision of direct pedestrian / cycle routes across junc. island in 'X' formation

- space created by eliminating subways can be used for variety of uses - e.g. New or expanded cycle docking stations, re-locating bus stops currently cut- off by flyover ramps to the more acessible centre of the junction, tree planting / improved public realm

- no or negligible impact to roadspace or traffic flow
Tuesday 22 November 2011 10.38pm
Those are excellent short-term ideas until the long-term removal of that ghastly flyover can be complete.

In particular, more Boris Bikes are needed in the area since the docking station at the roundabout represents the Southernmost territory for the scheme. It would be great to see an additional row of them on the northeast side of the roundabout (by the existing docks) and another large set of bikes by the Darwin ST bus station.

The subways are inhuman, degrading and dangerous -- the faster they're gone, the better.
Thursday 24 November 2011 8.51pm
Has any one else noticed the very strong smell of gas in Great Dover street near the Roundhouse? I reported a strong smell of gas two days ago and when contacted by the inspector via the phone he explained that they were aware of the problem, but due to the lack of permission not coming from the relevant highway dept., TFL i think, road closure would be delayed as it is important and busy route. Nice...he assured me that work would start very soon, glad I dont live near the Roundhouse!
Thursday 24 November 2011 10.35pm
Sorry, where is the Roundhouse on Great Dover ST?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions