London SE1 community website

No. 12 bus: double decker

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Friday 4 November 2011 5.30pm
The difference is also that it cost much less to travel in Europe. In Paris, a ticket on a bus is valid for 1 hour and you can take as many buses as you like during that time. But there are still loads of people who cheat. The only problem is that in France it is compulsary to carry on ID at all times, so you cannot lie about your details which are recorded and if you are a repeat offender, then the fines may go up and you may end up in court.
Friday 4 November 2011 11.02pm
Auntie Pat wrote:
I miss the bendy bus on the 521 route - the replacement bus is really bad for people with disabilities as there is only one seat for anyone with mobility problems - they've stuck a little sign with a stick figure with a walking stick next to the seats near the exit but there is a really high step up to those seats which I can't manage! If you're lucky enough to get the only accessible seat, you then have to fight your way off the bus as it's always really crowded.
My big problem with all buses is that a lot of drivers won't "kneel" the bus down so you can get on - they just look at you while you struggle to get up the step.

The 521 was a perfect route for bendy buses. Mostly commuters who already had passes, enough seats for those who wanted one but also plenty of standing room for the short journey. Problem was Boris's manifesto pledge was a true blunt instrument used without common sense.
Monday 7 November 2011 2.28pm
Great, another service where the upstairs remains empty while people stand downstairs. At least on a bendy bus everyone could see where the empty seats were.

That said, having seen someone get on the rear door of a double decker recently it would be nice to think that everyone would now be retrained to get on at the front. Unfortunately the Boris Bus is due to be "entry via any door" so it will be as susceptible for fare dodging as the bendy buses were.
Monday 7 November 2011 2.59pm
I'll miss bendy buses too. I really hoped they would work here. When I lived in Berlin in the late 1990s you could see they worked well for everyone. But Berlin is also a city with broad pavements, proper cycle lanes onto which traffic and pedestrians do not stray, and wide roads. Consequently, it all seemed to flow smoothly.

Having ridden a bike around central London I understand the terror of bendy buses - they are truly dangerous for cyclists. Britain still needs to get to grips with providing proper lanes for cyclists - but that's another topic.
Monday 7 November 2011 7.16pm
jonnyboy122 wrote:
Great, another service where the upstairs remains empty while people stand downstairs. At least on a bendy bus everyone could see where the empty seats were.
That said, having seen someone get on the rear door of a double decker recently it would be nice to think that everyone would now be retrained to get on at the front. Unfortunately the Boris Bus is due to be "entry via any door" so it will be as susceptible for fare dodging as the bendy buses were.

People getting on the rear door of the double deckers are still very much the exception to the rule, unlike the bendy-buses where there were so many fare dodging miscreants that it was always packed. The evidence that the bendy buses were a fare-dodgers heaven is there for all to see. Get on a 453 or 12 bendy at any time of the day and it was invariably packed. Now, get on a 453 or 12 double decker outside of peak hours and you can usually get a seat. Good riddance to bendy buses, another Livingstone sop to the "something for nothing" crowd.
As for the new routemasters, it is planned that they will have a conductor on them for at least 12 hours a day.
Monday 7 November 2011 7.25pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:

Good riddance to bendy buses, another Livingstone sop to the "something for nothing" crowd.

Oh please, do you really think he introduced these buses so people could evade the fare?
Tuesday 8 November 2011 1.48am
So, sorry if this is a bit off topic, on the Boris Buses will you be able to "hop on" anywhere that the bus is moving slowly in traffic?
Tuesday 8 November 2011 9.44am
On paper, bendy buses are great. Easy access, easy to get off. I shall miss them for that.

BUT, in reality, they don't work on London's streets. They are far too large an unwieldy - I'm sure they're fine in more modern cities with huge boulevards. And as for being a cyclist overtaken by one...
Tuesday 8 November 2011 9.55am
Now it is a double decker again, will the No. 12 revert to its original route all the way to Notting Hill? When it became a bendy bus, the route was shortened to Oxford Circus because I believe it could not turned into Oxford Street.
Wednesday 9 November 2011 9.47pm
I doubt it would be extended back again since other bus routes were re-jigged, to make up for the loss of the 12 on that section of the route. Between Camberwell and Westminster Bridge the 148 takes a much quicker route to Marble Arch than the 12 ever could.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions