London SE1 community website

Japanese restaurant, Tower Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Monday 2 April 2012 11.00am
Popped in there for the first time on Saturday for lunch. Despite not being particularly busy, service was painfully slow. With not much to look at except the traffic on Tower Bridge road, the time stretched. The interior decor with canteen style benches is a bit bland and generic in our opinion.

Allergy sufferers beware. One of our party had a wheat allergy and the staff were not very knowledgeable about ingredients. (It was even a surprise to them when we pointed out that their soy sauce contained wheat). They did try their best but you were more or less on your own and had to guess quite a bit on what was safe.

Other than that, the people working there were very friendly and the food was delicious. My wife, who is more an expert on Japanese food than me, said the sushi was very fresh.

Price was OK - neither cheap nor expensive.

Will probably give it another go at some point.
Monday 2 April 2012 1.12pm
To be fair I'm not sure it's the responsibility of a restaurant to know the ins and outs of every possible allergy a customer might suffer from.
Monday 2 April 2012 2.20pm
Hmm. I'd expect a restaurant to at least be able to answer questions about the more common food allergies. And I'd definitely expect them to at least pretend to have some concern for their customers and to make an effort to sell them something appropriate.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 2 April 2012 2.27pm
I would expect that information to be printed on the menu.
Monday 2 April 2012 10.29pm
Would you really? I can think of very few restaurants - locally, or more generally - that have menus that say things like "Contains wheat".

I agree with Ivanhoe that a restaurant should have staff in place that know about these things, but I'm not convinced that we've reached a point yet where we can concertedly expect menus to give the kind of detail Boss St Bloke expects. I

think the responsibility lies mainly, though not exclusively, with allergy sufferers to work out what's what. I speak as an allergy sufferer, by the way.
Monday 2 April 2012 10.47pm
Surely the chefs know what the food they cook contains? So, when ordering and letting the staff know what you're allergic to they could check with them.
Monday 2 April 2012 11.42pm
They know what the ingredients of a dish are, but not necessarily what the ingredients contain.

A case in point: most soy sauces contain wheat.
Tuesday 3 April 2012 12.13am
longlaner wrote:
Would you really? I can think of very few restaurants - locally, or more generally - that have menus that say things like "Contains wheat".
I agree with Ivanhoe that a restaurant should have staff in place that know about these things, but I'm not convinced that we've reached a point yet where we can concertedly expect menus to give the kind of detail Boss St Bloke expects. I

think the responsibility lies mainly, though not exclusively, with allergy sufferers to work out what's what. I speak as an allergy sufferer, by the way.

What? like....doctors?

I think your last paragraph sums it up beautifully.
Tuesday 3 April 2012 9.00am
As Longlaner says my response on reading this was surely the allergy sufferer would be well versed in what they can and cannot eat, its a restaurant after all not a health clinic.
Tuesday 3 April 2012 9.19am
When did people start becoming allergic to basic things like wheat and milk? You didn't hear of it even 20 years ago, and I'm sure restaurants wouldn't have had a clue back then
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions