London SE1 community website

Blinded by The Shard

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Thursday 24 November 2011 5.28pm
Don't look at it too long then.

I think its incredible *unpopular opinion*
Thursday 24 November 2011 7.17pm
seconded
Friday 25 November 2011 12.04am
During the Summer the sun rises and shines directly into my bedroom window. I am forced to keep my curtains closed until it moves around. I think the sun should be demolished, or at least the council should look into ways of controlling it or fitting it with a dimmer switch.
Friday 25 November 2011 7.12am
That made me laugh Aunty Pat, keep it up ;-).
Friday 25 November 2011 10.07am
question: My windows face the North and the sun is only a mirage in our flat! Can we move one of the big windows of the Shard to bring light into North facing flats in the area ?
Friday 25 November 2011 11.00am
You want to get yourself one of them revolving flats - sunny all day!
Friday 25 November 2011 3.09pm
I see that whilst it has been shrouded in fog the Shard has grown several stories.
Friday 25 November 2011 4.07pm
Aunty Pat you keep bringing a (sunny!) smile to my face please keep them coming.

BTW perhaps Stellar could fit it with solar panels to reduce their carbon footprint
TAK
Friday 25 November 2011 5.52pm
side tracking from topic, but there is actually a revolving villa in Italy to track the sunpath built in the 1930's
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=500642

Quite stunning.
As for the shiny shard it does indeed look like nothing else.
Friday 25 November 2011 11.10pm
I've avoided commenting on the shard on this forum for fear of incurring the wrath of the shard groupies who incessantly post pictures of it everytime a new rivet is put in. However, here's my two penn'orth:
Glass: Unfortunately, now that most architects and property developers worship at the feet of the messiah sir rogers, glass now appears to be the only way to clad a building. To me it just screams lazy thinking and a lack of originality.
Shape: I have heard people wax lyrical about the "unique shape" of the shard. Lets see, a wide base tapering at the top. Hardly original is it? Even the ancient Egyptians were doing it. It's called a pyramid. As for it being likened to a shard of glass, that may have been the original premise but given that it now has the dumpy extension attached, it now should be the shard of glass with a nobbly bit of glsss attached.
Height: Once again, people getting all excited by the height of the shard. I hate to break it to you guys, but at just over a 1000 feet, it is not very tall at all. there are plenty of supertalls way higher than this, particularly in the new powerhouse economies of Asia. This is my biggest bugbear with the shard. If it's meant to be making a statement, it's a fairly muted one. Let's face it, it's already completely out of proportion to the surrounding area, so why stop at 1000 feet? Why not make it 1500 or 2000 feet and make it truly impressive. At just 1000 feet, there is something quintessentialy British and half-arsed about the whole project.
Rant over, good night
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions