London SE1 community website

Blinded by The Shard

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Saturday 26 November 2011 12.59am
For me, the Shard will always be thought of as "Mr Pointy"
Saturday 26 November 2011 9.07am
Pieces of Eight wrote:
I've avoided commenting on the shard on this forum
<delete rant>
there is something quintessentialy British and half-arsed about the whole project.

I bet you say "humbug" at every opportunity this time of year, don't you? And that if you won a holiday to Bhali you would moan and whine that "it's too bloody hot".
Saturday 26 November 2011 12.33pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
I've avoided commenting on the shard on this forum
<delete rant>
there is something quintessentialy British and half-arsed about the whole project.

I bet you say "humbug" at every opportunity this time of year, don't you? And that if you won a holiday to Bhali you would moan and whine that "it's too bloody hot".

It's "Bali" Boss, and I spent a very pleasant couple of months there a few years ago. Denpasar's a bit of a hole and Kuta is full of p**sed up Aussies, but Ubud is lovely. I would recommend it thoroughly.
My point is, if we do want to get all macho and build big skyscrapers, lets do it properly and make them big. 1000 feet is puny for a supertall.
Saturday 26 November 2011 12.55pm
Oops, typo by me!

A quick Google saves the day. I was, of course, talking about Bhali ;-)
Monday 28 November 2011 2.05am
I love The Shard, especially in it's Archangel's shining sword moods, but by way of contrast here's a shot I took yesterday of 1 World Trade Center which at 1118 feet is already taller than the completed Shard.

ADT
Monday 28 November 2011 1.35pm
CAA restrictions on height mean that you cannot easily go much over 1000 feet in London. So the Shard is pretty much as tall as possible for London.

A "supertall"? What an ugly and inelegant word. Especially compared to skyscraper. I hope it never gets into the dictionary.
Monday 28 November 2011 5.17pm
ADT wrote:
CAA restrictions on height mean that you cannot easily go much over 1000 feet in London. So the Shard is pretty much as tall as possible for London.
A "supertall"? What an ugly and inelegant word. Especially compared to skyscraper. I hope it never gets into the dictionary.

I don't think it's in the Oxford Dictionary but a supertall is common parlance for any habitable structure above 300m.
With regards to CAA restrictions, I am sure that what you are saying is absolutely correct. However, in these days of fly-by-wire techno wizardry in planes and the fact that it does not seem to be an issue in other major conurbations with tall buildings, I am amazed that it is an issue here. As I said, "quintessentially British"
Monday 28 November 2011 5.58pm
There is an interesting article here during the Shard's planning stage.

The last paragraph mentions 2 aviation authorities who were worried about the proposed height of 1,016 feet.

The Shard will top out at 1,012 feet - so I do think aircraft operations were a factor on the ultimate height.
Monday 28 November 2011 9.10pm
Is it me or have we just also got the tallest Christmas tree in Europe.....green, red and blue lights ???
Monday 28 November 2011 10.05pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
There is an interesting article here during the Shard's planning stage.
The last paragraph mentions 2 aviation authorities who were worried about the proposed height of 1,016 feet.

The Shard will top out at 1,012 feet - so I do think aircraft operations were a factor on the ultimate height.

If this relates to concerns regarding City Airport, why do they not alter the flight approaches slightly to avoid the central london area? I am intrigued that CAA and BAA are concerned about tall buildings, yet operate an airport next to the skyscraper fest that is Canary Wharf. I just think this 1000 feet rule is an arbitrary figure and just another example of the high-viz jacket, hard hat and clipboard mentality which hamstrings British attempts to build big.
And don't even get me started on the protected views of St Pauls cobblers!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions