London SE1 community website

Blinded by The Shard

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Monday 28 November 2011 11.44pm
It is a design feature.

At dawn on the Winter Solstice, the reflected beam from the Shard will be so powerful that dogs, cats, squirrels and feral children will be sacrificed to the death ray in an open space "somewhere in SE1".

No doubt the members of the Guildable Manor of Southwark will finally be revealed in their true colours as acolytes of the Aztec sungod Huitzilopochtli, having maintained an underground cult since the return of Sir Francis Drake from Veracruz.
Tuesday 29 November 2011 7.28am
@Aunty pat: I checked my Bank account and I
am few millions short to buy a revolving flat.. As a form of democratic access to the sun,
They should make London revolving around the Shard, obviously to be done before the Olympics...
Tuesday 29 November 2011 8.36am
THANKS Rabbie...that's truly revealing. No need to go to the Aztec temples or Abu Simbel, we can all stay home and get the secret of life!
Friday 2 December 2011 10.17pm
Actually its not just the Shard. Most of this week the angle of the sun hitting the picture windows of the rear flats above the ambulance station on Waterloo Rd at about 11am deflects into my flat and bounces off the glass of my pictures in much the same way. I suspect I never knew about this before because I have only recently retired. It only lasts about 20-30mins but it is blinding - I decided to go out and buy a newspaper.
Tuesday 6 December 2011 11.12am
markadams99 wrote:
I love The Shard, especially in it's Archangel's shining sword moods, but by way of contrast here's a shot I took yesterday of 1 World Trade Center which at 1118 feet is already taller than the completed Shard.

Presumably on the basis that 1 World Trash Centre is so tall and imposing, Unesco will immediately withdraw world heritage status from the Statue of Liberty?? Or will they be more concerned with who does most to fund them??
The Shard is great, the Tower of London is great, why can people not accept each for what it is and luxuriate in the fact that we have both in our city.
Tuesday 6 December 2011 2.54pm
Why do you call it "World Trash Centre" regenerate?
Tuesday 6 December 2011 2.54pm
Why do you call it "World Trash Centre" regenerate?
Tuesday 6 December 2011 3.27pm
regenerate wrote:
markadams99 wrote:
I love The Shard, especially in it's Archangel's shining sword moods, but by way of contrast here's a shot I took yesterday of 1 World Trade Center which at 1118 feet is already taller than the completed Shard.

Presumably on the basis that 1 World Trash Centre is so tall and imposing, Unesco will immediately withdraw world heritage status from the Statue of Liberty?? Or will they be more concerned with who does most to fund them?? .
The yanks aren't funding Unesco at the moment. They withdrew funding last month due to Unesco permitting Palestine into it. Indeed, America and Unesco have always had a somewhat strained relationship.
Wednesday 7 December 2011 10.38am
Its where they put all of the left over towers from Daniel Liebskinds waste paper basket.
Sorry but I have never thought that the opportunity to do something amazing on that site was properly grasped and actually, to be fair to DL, some of the proposals have got even worse since the masterplan.
I accept that I may be wrong about UNESCO's motives, shot rather from the hip, but the contrast of attitudes between London and New York to the impact of the new could not be greater.
Wednesday 7 December 2011 2.45pm
regenerate wrote:
Its where they put all of the left over towers from Daniel Liebskinds waste paper basket.
Sorry but I have never thought that the opportunity to do something amazing on that site was properly grasped and actually, to be fair to DL, some of the proposals have got even worse since the masterplan.

Overlooking Ground Zero in 2003:

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions