London SE1 community website

Blinded by The Shard

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Wednesday 7 December 2011 10.26pm
[/quote]

Am I alone in thinking that the Holland Tunnel ventilator shaft is actually the most interesting bit of architecture in that picture?
Wednesday 7 December 2011 10.43pm
Lang Rabbie wrote:
Am I alone in thinking that the Holland Tunnel ventilator shaft is actually the most interesting bit of architecture in that picture?

Bravo!

Thursday 8 December 2011 9.09am
Agreed. It has a weight, sense of presence and character lacking in the uniformly dull background.
Thursday 8 December 2011 3.20pm
Help! where's the Holland Tunnel?
Thursday 8 December 2011 3.32pm
There's a discreet entrance to the tunnel near Bermondsey Wall West. The other end now comes out by the whisky shelves in Waitrose at St Katherine's Dock. (Else this digression were risibly off-topic). The Brunels wanted a convenient route to the Wapping pubs for labourers at the Rotherhithe Tunnel.
Thursday 8 December 2011 5.41pm
I really must get out more...
Thursday 8 December 2011 5.52pm
I always thought the Holland Tunnel is from Manhattan to Hoboken.
Thursday 8 December 2011 10.59pm
Heading rapidly back on topic... I think some of the advocates of development are trying to misrepresent the heritage lobby's views regarding the Tower of London World Heritage site and the impact of the Shard.

Opposition to the Shard was primarily focused on the way that it reduced the prominence of views of St Pauls from South London and "skewers" the dome of the Cathedral from some historic viewpoints.

Concerns about the Tower WHS have been far more about the various plans for architecturally mediocre buildings on Potters Fields and what has actually been built at More London, which have dramatically reduced the previously largedly open skyline that was visible from the Tower.
Friday 9 December 2011 6.49am
Agree there. More London has completely obscured my view of Tower Bridge which was such a joy.
Monday 12 December 2011 5.51pm
@jasonSE1 - bottom of page one - Is that a policeman in your pic? I haven't seen one of those on the street in years!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions