London SE1 community website

Cynical - Southwark Council

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 2 of 9
Monday 5 December 2011 5.27pm
Hi - When I get one of those cards, I always rearrange delivery to my door on-line as the sorting office is at least two buses and a long walk away for me.
Monday 5 December 2011 5.40pm
maybe the problem is not exclusively with cars/parking - personally i could not not-like cars more and know there are alternatives.

the one thing that struck me almost immediately reading this thread is quite how most of the posters are being in a manic rush to get things done, there's pressure to be at places at a certain time, mostly work?

maybe another discussion, about just how, why and by whom our lives are organised, would be as appropriate? i don't think 'slowing down' is a luxury, on the contrary
Monday 5 December 2011 11.05pm
it's theft, no two bones about it, as they say.
and the silly little jumped up jerk parked his stupid little camera car (is it a legally licensed one?! how can we check this please anyone?) on the single yelow line and walked up and down the cars that were parked (with owners stuck in the post office queue) and wrote down all the number plates. When we walked up to him and politely questioned, he ignored us and quickly slid back to his car and put the window up and ignored us when we tried to find out that if we were all to move, would we get tickets. What a rude basket! deliberately targeting the post queue for cash!

it's a saturday and no, the industrial park does not open fully on the saturday - the only things open there, are the sorting office and the other parcel company. The road is not blocked - it's a large road and plenty of room and not at all busy and well off the main roads and too far to walk for someone who is suffering great fatigue. It's just so totally disgusting and the sorting office did not warn us when they already knew this guy had targeting the cars the last weekend! (I warned all those parking after I was leaving so they didn't get stuffed)

I'm just so angry.

this is insult to injury when I would not have had to go collect my parcel, if the postie had rung my door bell!!!!!!!!

argh.
Tuesday 6 December 2011 12.25am
Bloggie wrote:
this is insult to injury when I would not have had to go collect my parcel, if the postie had rung my door bell!!!!!!!!
argh.

Good point Bloggie and this will get worse now that the temporary seasonal staff are on board.
Tuesday 6 December 2011 12.17pm
The good old 'Sorry we missed you cards'. No you DIDN'T miss me you just couldn't be arsed to ring the bell!

I've parked outside the Mandela Way depot on a few Saturday mornings and never noticed a camera car. I'd blithely assumed that you had 30 mins grace on a single yellow as I haven't seen the (highly cynical) CPZ notice.
Tuesday 6 December 2011 1.11pm
I'd rather see them enforcing the double yellows on my road. the local takeaway has two cars that park there used for deliveries both with blue badges!
Tuesday 6 December 2011 2.15pm
There should be a parking allowance of up to 20 mins outside the sorting office. It's very difficult to get to without a car. This situation is disgusting especially for older people and the disabled. Southwark parking services just stink.
And you try phoning Mandela Way to get help.
Tuesday 6 December 2011 3.03pm
Is this the Mandela Way just by Bricklayers Arms (where the buses stop), which is so hard to get to? Or is there some other one in the middle of the Sahara?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 6 December 2011 3.25pm
Disabled blue badge holders can park on a single yellow for 3 hours. That's a non-issue.
Tuesday 6 December 2011 8.49pm
Has anyone on this forum actually received a fine & if so, has anyone been able to successfully challenge the fine? My partner just received a fine (130 if not paid within 28 days) - we went to collect a parcel (as we work between 9-5) from the Royal Mail collection office on 26/11. My partner stayed in the car - not "parked" by definition (as the engine was running & he was in control of the car)-whilst I went to collect the parcel. If it were a "no stopping area" that may be a different story... Unfortunately it took ages to collect the parcel - the office was extremely busy! But where else are you meant to park when the office is so busy and there are insufficient parking spots? Parking in front of the office is hardly obstructing anyone or any traffic, in fact the only traffic there on a Saterday morning is from people coming to collect parcels! And before anyone says you don't need to drive, I am 37 weeks pregnant & not living on a bus route or within walking distance of the collection office! The best bit is that the photographic evidence of our violation was taken as we drove off - obviously so he could get a clean shot of our number plate!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 2 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions