London SE1 community website

Cynical - Southwark Council

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9
Tuesday 6 December 2011 9.25pm
Peter John as the leader of Southwark Council, are you going to do the decent thing and make sure all parking tickets are rescinded for people parking outside the sorting office for short time whilst collecting their parcels on Saturday?
Wednesday 7 December 2011 6.05am
billreese wrote:
Peter John as the leader of Southwark Council, are you going to do the decent thing and make sure all parking tickets are rescinded for people parking outside the sorting office for short time whilst collecting their parcels on Saturday?

Southwark Council should implement a valet parking scheme outside the sorting office. It seems like the sort of basic service that shouldn't be cut in these times of austerity...
Wednesday 7 December 2011 10.40am
se1lurker wrote:
billreese wrote:

Southwark Council should implement a valet parking scheme outside the sorting office. It seems like the sort of basic service that shouldn't be cut in these times of austerity...
LOVE it!

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 7 December 2011 1.37pm
IIRC there's a huge, free car-park at the eastern end of Mandela Way.

And, since roughly two-thirds of the borough's household don't have cars (sorry, 2001 census figures - I don't think the new ones are out yet), I'm wondering how the rest of the population get to the inaccessible Mandela Way sorting office. Any ideas?
Wednesday 7 December 2011 1.53pm
I received a fine this morning.
I actually asked the spies in the van how long I could be there for and they said 5 minutes.
I was there for 6 minutes.
I was also sitting in my car as I saw the queue and a chap kindly offered to get my parcel so i didnt get a ticket- the irony.
I have appealed today.
I would be glad to join forces against these fines as I feel certain more will have received them today.
The road was empty and the entrance to Mandela Way accessible to anyone.
I think its appalling that a place clearly used in the main, for the pick up of what will inevitably be big parcels ( cant get through door ) doesnt have any facility for collections.
Wednesday 7 December 2011 2.44pm
Not sure of the arrangements these days on Mandela Way, butI would be inclined to appeal on the basis that I was not parked but was loading/unloading and send them in a copy of your 'We've got a delivery for you' card. A 'parking' restriction does not preclude a vehicle from legitimately loading/unloading. Very sneaky of Southwark Council though maybe it is not council policy but an over-zealous 'civil enforcement officer' who can issue a day's worth of tickets in the space of an hour outside...
Wednesday 7 December 2011 2.50pm
thankyou for that advise.

Card handed in and I would guess long gone.

I will appeal until I am blue in the face and that wont be pretty.
Wednesday 7 December 2011 2.54pm
Why not use the Tesco's car park?
Wednesday 7 December 2011 3.22pm
I would have needed a trolley to carry my parcel.
Wednesday 7 December 2011 5.31pm
SE1 lurker your comments are so constructive. All I'm suggesting is half a dozen white boxes painted on the road as waiting bays. Just trying to represent working families who are not at home all day to receive parcels. I don't get why driving to pick up a heavy parcel is such as big deal.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions