London SE1 community website

Cynical - Southwark Council

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9
Wednesday 7 December 2011 11.01pm
Why not use the walkway from Willow Walk, which is unrestricted for parking on Saturdays, and seems almost designed for this purpose, judging by the sign:

http://bit.ly/s0Jwm2

It's less than a 100m walk.
Zoe
Thursday 8 December 2011 7.26am
Very good suggestion, I'm parking there next time.

I wonder what the Members of the European parliament is that Google maps is showing there?
Thursday 8 December 2011 8.14am
goodenough wrote:
Why not use the walkway from Willow Walk, which is unrestricted for parking on Saturdays, and seems almost designed for this purpose, judging by the sign:
http://bit.ly/s0Jwm2

It's less than a 100m walk.
How can I be expected to walk 100m to pick up my new trainers?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 12 December 2011 11.37pm
seriously, are we going to get double penalties if royal snail don't deliver the fines to our actual letter boxes?

I have asked mandela way for proof of being there to load a parcel into my car, seeing as they can't hand back the original red/white postcard.

would be interested in fighting this all the way too!
Tuesday 13 December 2011 10.01am
I've had numerous parking fines escalate, as I didn't receive a 'Notice to Owner'. Local authorities can't rely on proof of delivery, adding to their costs, and wasting court time, thanks to The Post Office - They must be costing us million every year by simply not delivering letters like they should!
Tuesday 13 December 2011 5.02pm
I have contacted the post office for a copy of my delivery card and I will appeal against this to the top.
It would be good to get others on board in the same predicament.

I know the men in the spy van said I have 5 mins to get my parcel.
Wednesday 14 December 2011 9.38am
Speaking as someone who doesn't drive and finds Mandella Way a pain to get to, I would like to see a redelivery service to a post office of choice. At the moment they can't offer a redirection to my nearest post office as 'it isn't in their area'. They can only deliver to a post office that's further from me than Mandella Way. Some simple flexibility would sort all of this out
Wednesday 14 December 2011 5.17pm
hi i can help anyone who has got a parking ticket outside royal mail office in mandela way
please copy and paste this letter and send it to southwark.hope this helps people.

I am in receipt of the above which you have sent by post following the capture of my vehicle by a hidden CCTV camera.

Firstly I should not have received a penalty charge notice issued by a CCTV camera at this location because you have issued it contrary to the statutory guidance issued to all local authorities on the use of CCTV. This is guidance to which local authorities “MUST” have regarded to and states as follows. -

At clause 8.78 "The secretary of State recommends that approved devices are only used where enforcement is difficult or sensitive AND CEO enforcement is not practical”,

It is not impractical to use CEO enforcement in elephant road because it is not a trunk road, stopping is not banned, it is not a dual carriageway with no pavements so there is no danger to CEO’s. It is a road with a speed limit of 30 miles per hour and a road where CEO enforcement has been used for many years. In fact CEO enforcement continues to be used in elephant road. No penalty charge notice should therefore have been issued to me.
Secondly, and without prejudice to the above, I should not have been issued with a penalty charge notice issued by a CCTV camera because you have not installed the legally required compliant signage warning of such enforcement. I should point out that I drove in from the new Kent road side of elephant road.
The code of practice issued by the information commissioner’s office states “You must let people know that they are in an area where CCTV surveillance is being carried out. The most effective way of doing this is by using prominently placed signs at the entrance to the CCTV zone and reinforcing this with further signs inside the area”. It also states” Clear and prominent signs are particularly important where the cameras themselves are very discreet, or in locations where people might not expect to be under surveillance. As a general rule, signs should be more prominent and frequent where it would otherwise be less obvious to people that they are on CCTV”
I have seen specific written confirmation from the information commissioner’s office which confirms that “compliant signage is compulsory” [a legal obligation].
Also at clause 8.79 of the statutory guidance issued under the 2004 TMA it states "The primary objective of any camera enforcement system is to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the road network by deterring motorists from breaking road traffic restrictions and detecting those that do. To do this, the system needs to be well publicized and indicated with lawful traffic signs”.
You have no signs at the location where you captured my vehicle warning of CCTV enforcement.
It makes a mockery of the statutory guidance which local authorities must have regard to and the code of practice issued by the information commissioner’s office if councils like Southwark simply ignore it. It is all very well to penalize a motorist for any minor transgression of your strict rules but you should also abide by the rules for CCTV enforcement.
I would hope that under these specific circumstances that you will on this occasion cancel the penalty charge notice.

Yours sincerely
Wednesday 14 December 2011 11.38pm
The world is mine, and it owes me

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 15 December 2011 9.03pm
Just received a ticket through the post for parking outside the Mandela Way sorting office on 3rd Dec. It's my first ever ticket (24 years of driving). I'm normally first in line to condemn inconsiderate parking, and support the enforcement of parking restrictions which generally are for the benefit of the public as a whole. But all the times I've driven the more than 2.5 miles from my house to pick up my parcels from the middle of a pretty much deserted industrial estate, it had never even occurred to me to check the parking restrictions, as parking on the wide road outside the sorting office for the time it takes to make the collection has clearly not inconvenienced anyone else one jot. Shame on you, Southwark Council, your (or should I say our) parking restrictions should be for the benefit of the public as a whole, and making parcel collection even more inconvenient (it's a 5.4 mile round-trip walk for me) for no apparent reason does not pass this test.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions