London SE1 community website

Cynical - Southwark Council

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9
Thursday 15 December 2011 9.28pm
its just a money-raising exercise ...the council is pretty inept and its an easy way to rip off the public.
Thursday 15 December 2011 9.42pm
Roger C - Is SE1 that big?
Thursday 15 December 2011 9.46pm
The parking restrictions came into force recently.
Maybe you should appeal against it ( as I am ) and express your dissatisfaction.
Thursday 15 December 2011 9.54pm
Graham - it serves SE16 as well, Surrey Quays/Canada Water
Thursday 15 December 2011 11.22pm
I don't know if anyone has said this already but why not just park in the Tesco and walk down the road? I used to do this while visiting the Parking Shop. I'm sure we all did.

The alternative is to take a friend and then turn off the ignition while approaching the sorting office and glide to a stop. Then you get out, pop the bonnet and get your friend to look in the engine while shaking their head in a "oh-no-it's-not-starting" kind of way. While this is going on, you go in and get your parcel. I don't think they can ticket you if the car's broken down. If the council asks why you went in to the sorting office you say that you went to ask for help. Or perhaps you needed to pick up some jump leads that you ordered online.
Friday 16 December 2011 6.09am
hmmmm no. it would be easier if they just let you park there!
Friday 16 December 2011 9.22am
This is a shocking use of council assets, manpower and time. It is purely a money raising initiative which is specifically objected to by Parliament when CCTV is used for parking and traffic offences. SC are there to serve the people as well as run the administrative needs of the botough and this does neither. I was please to see the current leader of the council post here earlier on...I presume he now has matters well in hand to sort this situation out in what is after all still a democratic country where accountability must be followed through. The buck has to stop somewhere and the parking enforcement team who decides on this must see sense and offer a viable and suitable alternative.
Friday 16 December 2011 12.38pm
I have received a rejection to my appeal. They state they saw no evidence of loading activity. Given I was there over 5 minutes to collect the parcel this is ridiculous.

I have written to the Post office for the delivery card and will now explain this all again on my second appeal.

If anyone can suggest who in the higher eschelons of society I should write to please let me know.

Thanks
Friday 16 December 2011 1.04pm
Southwark have 'interpreted' the law as meaning just five minute, but precedents in case law have allowed for waiting for paper work, and finding the right office &c. I think your appeal will be successful at PATAS, but it will cost we tax payers for the luxury of Southwark's contractors causing you to have to spend time & postage on the case. Perhaps APCOA, (Southwark's parking contractors) should be surcharged whenever a PCN is overturned - that might help to focus the Parking Attendants' attention when dishing out (sorry issuing) Penalty Charge Notices.
Friday 16 December 2011 1.06pm
After posting last time I took steps to ensure that the mobile parking camera was not deployed in this area of Mandela Way - and I understand that this happened.

I have also asked for a longer term solution to be looked at - the sort of parking bays that people have been discussing on this thread.

Until that longer term change to the parking is introduced I can only urge everyone to use Willow Walk to park when collecting parcels. There is a path through to the sorting office.

Finally, if you are appealing a parking fine then feel free to copy me into any appeal you send in.

Peter
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions