London SE1 community website

Cynical - Southwark Council

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 7 of 9
Sunday 18 December 2011 6.16pm
I think you owe it to the memory of Vaclav Havel to carry on this struggle for freedom

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 19 December 2011 12.16pm
I visited the sorting office this morning ON MY BIKE and was told that they cannot give over any evidence of delivery card collection. This means that we cannot show why we were parked there. Yes its obvious but Southwark council have question why as was parked there as they state they did not see any evidence of loading or unloading in the allocated time of the offence. The reason for this is simple. I left the office to move my car so I didnt get a ticket. A complete stranger kindly offered to hand my card in for me.
Also I cycled from OLD Kent road to the sorting office and there is not a sign stating TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT CAMERAS. Has it been removed please?
I have an photo of one on my parking fine notification so where exactly is it?
I looked on both sides of the road and its gone.
There were 4 cars parked this morning and two of the local people collecting parcels were oaps. I asked them if they could manage without a car and they both said no way.
I have written to The parking appeals office AGAIN and Clr Peter John as it's an outrage that local people are being targeted at the busiest time of year at the sorting office. We are basically sitting ducks.
No one has any spare money and 65 is a fortune to me.

After the amount of time, effort and energy this has taken me I feel I should invoice Southwark council. This is not money we are winning. Its simply money that we should and will avoid paying.

Please appeal against any fines you incur at the sorting office.
Thursday 29 December 2011 2.29am
Ivanhoe Tuesday 6 December 2011 3.03pm
"Is this the Mandela Way just by Bricklayers Arms (where the buses stop), which is so hard to get to? Or is there some other one in the middle of the Sahara?"

Not the busses that go anywhere near my house Ivanhoe. Thanks for your vindictiveness though. Its always such fun!
Tuesday 3 January 2012 2.17pm
Davies (you need to look up the meaning of "vindictive", but never mind that): I'm just pointing out that Bricklayers Arms (right by Mandela Way) is one of the places in SE1 which is better-served by public transport. And, being only a couple of stops from Elephant (a huge public transport hub), I can't imagine that many SE1-ers couldn't get there by bus*.

Whereas you portray it as somewhere so absolutely remote that it's unreachable except by car(avanserai).

*Yes, it might possibly involve a change of bus, but that scarcely makes it impossible.

Tuesday 3 January 2012 2.48pm
The point is that if you have a MASSIVE parcel its extremely awkward to carry it any distance.
Especially if you have a small child in tow that requires a safe hand to hold.
Also it might be an old person who cannot carry any weight.

I am attending a court hearing next month about this fine and intend to win.

Its a waste of tax payers money, our time and energy.

I am appalled at Southwark council.

Clr Peter John has also stated that parking bays will be fitted and also the camera vans have been called off and signs taken down.
Tuesday 3 January 2012 2.56pm
speedy wrote:
The point is that if you have a MASSIVE parcel its extremely awkward to carry it any distance.
Especially if you have a small child in tow that requires a safe hand to hold.
Also it might be an old person who cannot carry any weight.
You forgot to mention ethnic minority partially-sighted kittens suffering from a terminal disease.

Tuesday 3 January 2012 8.51pm
Whatever one's views on the dreaded use of car in built up area discussion, it does seem odd that a sorting office in what is effectively an industrial estate does not have some parking facility, whether it be for cycles or cars.

Maybe the enterprising BVAG man could turn his waste site with tank into a sort of halting site for this purpose.
Wednesday 4 January 2012 12.30pm
Since the leader of Southwark Council sees fit to get involved in this issue, and it remains legal (and for some, essential and cheaper) to operate a car in central London I don't think anyone benefits from multiple inflammatory, entirely unconstructive, deeply sarcastic remarks about Havel, the Sahara and kittens.
Wednesday 4 January 2012 12.52pm
indeed, kittenism is totally unacceptable.
Wednesday 4 January 2012 1.08pm
marcusm wrote:
... it does seem odd that a sorting office in what is effectively an industrial estate does not have some parking facility, whether it be for cycles or cars.

There did used to be a small parking area (about 10/12 bays) not so long ago when the customer entrance to the collection office was just around the corner before the main gates. There was never a problem finding a bay in among the RM vans in that particular bit (and yes, it was marked as customer parking). A bit of jostling went on but everyone knew as soon as someone came out with their parcel a space would become free.

Moving the entrance around onto Mandela Way seemed odd and unnecessary to me at the time but then, what do I know about the mysterious machinations of Royal Mail...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 7 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions