London SE1 community website

Cynical - Southwark Council

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 8 of 9
Wednesday 4 January 2012 1.18pm
Colinio wrote:
Since the leader of Southwark Council sees fit to get involved in this issue, and it remains legal (and for some, essential and cheaper) to operate a car in central London I don't think anyone benefits from multiple inflammatory, entirely unconstructive, deeply sarcastic remarks about Havel, the Sahara and kittens.
It seemed the only way to respond to absurdist posts along the lines of "Well, we saw the double yellow lines, and we saw the car with the camera, and we spoke to the man in the car and he told us what he was doing, and we parked there anyway, and now we're outraged that we got a ticket, and we must fight this outrageous challenge to our liberty"

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 4 January 2012 1.40pm
Can I just say how much I've enjoyed Ivanhoe's comments (the Havel one and the kitten one were particular crackers); much better than my usually po-faced ones about people who insist on poisoning our neighbours for their own convenience.

Do keep it up.
Wednesday 4 January 2012 4.51pm
Absurdist maybe - but so is a council paying two officers to sit in a brand new car parked on a yellow line, taking photos of other cars parking on that yellow line!
Thursday 5 January 2012 11.58pm
I asked the staff in mandela way, why there were no parking bays and they stated that southwark council had refused them again.

also, reading up on various sites such as 'pepipoo', the fact that we were legitimately loading (or unloading, for those returning parcels), is grounds for dismissal of any pcn. Plus the fact that the cctv signs are not correctly positioned, not readily identifiable (as already stated). There are no markings on the kerb (or any notcibale road signage) to indicate any loading or unloading restrictions and the biggest fact is that the council employee (or are these subcontractors on large bonuses for high ticketing!) was quite aware that we were only stopping there temporarily for unloading and loading purposes, and the road traffic act has a section on this.

anyway, I am wondering if I will have to wait for the 6 months (limitation date?) to go past and then not worry, or if I'll get some sort of late demand - as nothing so far has been posted out to me, ticket wise. It could still be royal snail... (more than 28 days later now)

or,
were the tickets cancelled and not sent out afterall?

if the guy in the car (who asked for a copy of the pictures I took on my iphone) is on here, please message me. I should have taken your email addy but I was too flabergasted at the rudeness of the jumped up bloke in the silly little cctv car.
Friday 6 January 2012 8.10am
Parking fines are not subject to the Magistrates' Courts Act six-month limitation period since matters of parking contravention were decriminalised by the 1991 Road Traffic Act.

However, if the PCN is issued on the basis of CCTV evidence (and is served after the alleged contravention) by post, then you must be served (I.e. receive) with the PCN within 28 days of the alleged contravention date. If not, the PCN itself is defective and the council ought to rescind it.

However, that is quite apart from the fact that the vehicles were, arguably, legitimately loading/unloading and thus were not ''parked"
Friday 6 January 2012 9.28am
Such erudition. So heartening to see it applied to such a good cause.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 6 January 2012 10.21am
Gavin,

THANK YOU for taking the time to send this post.
I am certain there will be a number of us who will find this useful.

Whether this action culminates in parking bays being installed or simply fines being cancelled it is a worthy cause in my book.

65 is a lot of money to many people , myself included and many of these posts have highlighted that thankfully local people are not prepared to simply accept such a ludicrous situation at Mandela Way anymore.

I would urge any body who has been issued with a fine to appeal against and then if that is turned down appeal again.

Loading is allowed on a yellow line.
Friday 6 January 2012 2.50pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Parking fines are not subject to the Magistrates' Courts Act six-month limitation period since matters of parking contravention were decriminalised by the 1991 Road Traffic Act.
However, if the PCN is issued on the basis of CCTV evidence (and is served after the alleged contravention) by post, then you must be served (I.e. receive) with the PCN within 28 days of the alleged contravention date. If not, the PCN itself is defective and the council ought to rescind it.

However, that is quite apart from the fact that the vehicles were, arguably, legitimately loading/unloading and thus were not ''parked"
thanks Gavin, I read that but was unsure if that pertained to the date southwark might mark the letter/pcn.
and quite! it would have been a defective pcn anyway..
Friday 6 January 2012 5.15pm
Bloggie, my understanding is that it is 28 days from date of the contravention itself, that is the PCN must be dated within a 28-day period from contravention date.

Despite other posts on here, I really hope that common sense prevails here and that all PCNs issuedd at Mandela Way are rescinded.
Thursday 12 January 2012 10.45am
The council has moved with extraordinary speed on this and a proposal for four 20-minute parking bays outside the delivery office will be considered by Bermondsey Community Council next Wednesday evening - see report [PDF] and map [PDF].

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 8 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions