London SE1 community website

Aesop Opened in Borough Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Saturday 10 December 2011 7.13pm
Yes, I was wondering what a global skin company was too! Having looked at their website I see they are a skin care company, and way out of my price range. Good luck to them anyway.
Saturday 10 December 2011 9.44pm
emmab wrote:
Aesop products are excellent and they usually fit their shops out beautifully and individually so to a certain degree I think they're a welcome addition. I'm more surprised about the shift to non-food, started with Paul Smith I suppose and suspect it will increase. Although having said that, Shipps Tearooms and then briefly Best Italian was an electrical shop for years.
The corporate/chain thing is depressing but inevitable. It would be great if the trustees had some vision like the Howard de Walden Estate in Marylebone who don't just take the highest rent but then they've got other income whereas Borough Market has limited [/i]funds [i]so they need to go for the money. They could so easily ruin it - hope it doesn't end up as a food theme park.
Marylebone has limited funds but even so BM is not short of a bob & really shouldn't be purely profit driven.
Personally I would like to see only independent small operators & their GP margins should be monitored to stop the excessive charging that goes on there.
Sunday 11 December 2011 12.07am
As recommended have just had a look at their website. They are having a laugh. 80 for shampoo. That's a week's food bill. And I work in the dreaded City.

I agree about Marylebone, but it is not all mega expensive.
Sunday 11 December 2011 3.38pm
Sidney wrote:
emmab wrote:
Aesop products are excellent and they usually fit their shops out beautifully and individually so to a certain degree I think they're a welcome addition. I'm more surprised about the shift to non-food, started with Paul Smith I suppose and suspect it will increase. Although having said that, Shipps Tearooms and then briefly Best Italian was an electrical shop for years.
The corporate/chain thing is depressing but inevitable. It would be great if the trustees had some vision like the Howard de Walden Estate in Marylebone who don't just take the highest rent but then they've got other income whereas Borough Market has limited [/i]funds [i]so they need to go for the money. They could so easily ruin it - hope it doesn't end up as a food theme park.
Marylebone has limited funds but even so BM is not short of a bob & really shouldn't be purely profit driven.
Personally I would like to see only independent small operators & their GP margins should be monitored to stop the excessive charging that goes on there.

@emmab & sidney, you're targetting the wrong charity for your criticism, as per my previous post. However, I think the former electrical business premises are in the ownership of BM, and that there were problems over it's conversion to the tea rooms (a cheeky move by the then leaseholder), and again with the Best Italian outfit. There must be ongoing issues with the lease (or cost of it) for it to still be empty. However, I quite like the current use of it's shutters as a local bicycle park.....

As for the idea of having any independent traders profits monitored and restricted somehow, that is a ridiculous suggestion.
Sunday 11 December 2011 8.20pm
I think you will find that it will be a long time before any mention of the borough market does not receive a negative response. The former management (and trustees still in their positions) have caused such reputational damage to the place that it will be an age before the market is looked on again in favourable terms.
Sunday 11 December 2011 9.53pm
Spartacus, I wasn't being specifically critical of BM or even the actual freeholders United St Saviours, only acknowledging that as you have said of USS, they HAVE to capitalise on high rents as the number of income generating properties is limited. Howard de Walden in Marylebone has a great many other buildings such as offices where they can charge high commercial rents which enables them to take a different stance in the way they populate their retail estate and it's a shame others can't but I suppose that is the commercial reality.
Sunday 11 December 2011 10.38pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
I think you will find that it will be a long time before any mention of the borough market does not receive a negative response. The former management (and trustees still in their positions) have caused such reputational damage to the place that it will be an age before the market is looked on again in favourable terms.

Leaving such pomposity aside, let's be clear, this discussion about 'the borough market' is nothing to do with the market in the Borough Market demise. It is about the new retail business in a property owned by United St. Saviours. Please try and understand the difference.

What is the 'negative response' to do with? Are you disappointed that Borough Market has been a positive result for some businesses you self-righteously disapprove of?? Or that it does not provide produce at the same price as East Street?? BM is what it is (has become), because of a mix of the evolution in wholesale trading, the local real estate market and the development of the south side of the river here as a tourist destination. It is a quite different locality and potential customer base to that of other market streets in SE London. Love it or loathe it, let it be what it is, and go where you wish to shop to suit your income and 'lifestyle'.
Tuesday 13 December 2011 1.47pm
spartacus wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:

Leaving such pomposity aside, let's be clear, this discussion about 'the borough market' is nothing to do with the market in the Borough Market demise. It is about the new retail business in a property owned by United St. Saviours. Please try and understand the difference.

What is the 'negative response' to do with? Are you disappointed that Borough Market has been a positive result for some businesses you self-righteously disapprove of?? Or that it does not provide produce at the same price as East Street?? BM is what it is (has become), because of a mix of the evolution in wholesale trading, the local real estate market and the development of the south side of the river here as a tourist destination. It is a quite different locality and potential customer base to that of other market streets in SE London. Love it or loathe it, let it be what it is, and go where you wish to shop to suit your income and 'lifestyle'.

Apologies, but my "pomposity checker" on Microsoft Office isn't working properly. The point of my post was not to criticise businesses within the Borough Market environs (including Aesop) and I am aware that it is not one of BM's properties. It was merely to highlight the fact that, since the absolute balls-up that the management and trustees perpetrated this year, reaction to any reports about BM are more negative. People I speak to who used to speak of BM in glowing terms have been turned off by the events of this year. The current BM management will have to go a long way to repair the reputational damage caused and show that BM has turned a corner. However I fear that this will not be possible whilst there are still trustees in place who approved of and presided over the worst episode in BM's history.
Tuesday 13 December 2011 5.49pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
People I speak to who used to speak of BM in glowing terms have been turned off by the events of this year. The current BM management will have to go a long way to repair the reputational damage caused and show that BM has turned a corner. However I fear that this will not be possible whilst there are still trustees in place who approved of and presided over the worst episode in BM's history.

Well, no-one can stop someone nurturing their grudges. The new management of BM may well be in the process of making positive changes, but I imagine it's going to take time, and the majority of the visitors to BM are completely unaware of the history of petty politics and feuds there. The next big change is the handover of premises and land currently leased to Network Rail for the duration of the viaduct construction. Now, that is going to be interesting to witness, and no doubt some people will not be happy with the result.
Wednesday 14 December 2011 12.56pm
Getting a good mix is important imho.

Too many shops with 80 shampoos is not great prospect.
Just like too many Chicken Cottage s is not a good prospect.

BTW - the 'global' adjective is so last century.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions