London SE1 community website

Accident on OKR? [New Kent Road fatal collision]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Tuesday 20 December 2011 9.12pm
Another young life. RIP.
Tuesday 20 December 2011 10.13pm
Tragic shame.

Whatever political views on that road system, it's certainly not too soon to do something about it.
Tuesday 20 December 2011 10.48pm
Agreed - tragic.

But it is far to soon to be scoring cheap political points.
Wednesday 21 December 2011 10.54am
Very, very sad. Whether this was driver carelessness or a pedestrian taking a chance, there certainly is a problem around that area. Just yesterday I was horrified to see a young woman with a baby in a pushchair trapped walking up the middle of the road while traffic belted in both directions under the railway bridge. Some people are reluctant to use the underpasses and take chances when they see a bus they want on the other side while conversely, one also runs the danger of being mown down while crossing perfectly legally on the crossing. The situation is compounded at the moment by the roadworks. Maybe we all need to slow down and take more care - pedestrians and drivers alike.
Wednesday 21 December 2011 5.45pm
The poor young man and his family..:-( and how is the other young person ?

| wonder if the lights are set on the same timing as the ones near Ada Lewis...sorry Driscoll house, you get about 6 seconds to cross to the central island from the pavement. Add walking sticks or small children you need longer than that, I was being pushed in my wheelchair ( having a bad day!) and the wheels got caught in a uneven part of the road near the edge, the traffic started tooting and revving straight away. My daughter said she would have gone under the subway if I was a lot lighter then she would not have to push me up the ramps!
Wednesday 21 December 2011 7.54pm
This road is horribly hard to cross -- it is a road that is in desperate need of crossings with stop lights, but also a road that would have traffic be "less smooth" should more robust crossings be constructed. I guess we can guess which priority will win out...

And, no, I don't feel this is about scoring political points, but about the reality of the current situation.
Saturday 21 January 2012 11.25am
I an 71 years old and have limited mobility. Crossing the NKR at the lights just short of Balfour Street is frankly dangerous. Three more seconds of "green man" are needed to allow those like me to get across.

Peter
Thursday 26 January 2012 2.49pm
Very sad. A couple of weeks ago another accident.
How long does it take to actually get some decent lights installed on the actual critical points and pedestrian crossings.
Thursday 26 January 2012 3.14pm
I was hit down the NKR last year by a bike, it seemed to come from nowhere. Was knocked out and needed 8 stitches to a wound next to my eye. the rider stayed and called for an ambulance - which was nice of him. I remember sitting in the ambulance thinking 'that could have been it, if that was a car etc'. I felt partly guilty though crossing at place where I shouldn't have, but the traffic had all stopped, then this bike came so fast up the side of the traffic, and that was all I remember until I someone was putting something to my face to stop the blood. I had crossed there so many times before. I think twice now when crossing any roads.
Thursday 26 January 2012 5.28pm
The Hutch wrote:
I was hit down the NKR last year by a bike, it seemed to come from nowhere. Was knocked out and needed 8 stitches to a wound next to my eye. the rider stayed and called for an ambulance - which was nice of him. I remember sitting in the ambulance thinking 'that could have been it, if that was a car etc'. I felt partly guilty though crossing at place where I shouldn't have, but the traffic had all stopped, then this bike came so fast up the side of the traffic, and that was all I remember until I someone was putting something to my face to stop the blood. I had crossed there so many times before. I think twice now when crossing any roads.
A motorbike, or a push bike?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions