London SE1 community website

Heroin Addicts in Crossbones Graveyard

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Bee
Wednesday 26 May 2004 9.28am

Gutierrez,

Why are you a tad surprised? I agree that the people need help - I said in my first post it was a horrible situation - but I noted that action had already been taken by PP calling the police and Council. I think that was a positive thing to do. I am much in favour of doing something about a situation than spending time lamenting about how awful it is and saying "something should be done". I presume that having said we should try and help the people in the Graveyard, you have a plan for doing that?

I also note that although PP was told by the man with the needle that his friend was sick and saw the women lying amongst excrement, he did not ask whether they needed any medical help. I would have done, had I been stupid enough to enter such a situation in the first place after someone shouted at me to F off and had waved a metal pipe in my direction.
Wednesday 26 May 2004 10.25am
Well, what I definitely will do is go and have a look for myself. There is no point in sending in the police to chase them off the ground, they will just move soewhere else, without any improvement to their situation. Even although PP said he informed ploice and council, I think it won't do any harm if they are contacted again - on the contrary, if enough people get involved something might actually get done.
Bee
Wednesday 26 May 2004 10.49am
You're going to have a look yourself? I refer you to Dave Baker's post above. Perhaps someone can sell tickets with the proceeds going towards hiring a van to move the freaks on.

The police can and often will do more than just move people on. They can find them somewhere safe and proper to go to. But if you don't think they can help, why are you suggesting they should be contacted again?
Wednesday 26 May 2004 10.53am
I think we should go down there with torches tonight, and run 'em out of town.
As for helping them, would they have to consent to being helped?
Bee
Wednesday 26 May 2004 11.01am
Good idea, Tharg. I'm sure some of the people involved in this thread would really get their rocks of from doing that, and they could probably kid themselves that they were doing it for worthy reasons.

The peole in the Graveyard would need to consent to being helped, unless they appear to be mentally ill and a danger to themselves and others, in which case they can be sectioned (obviously without their consent).
Wednesday 26 May 2004 11.13am
I bet PP's mate will dine out on this for years ! What amazes me is the Pure stupidity of asking such a pair of obvious druggies to have a look at their gaff ???!!!

How utterly niaive !

You are clearly fortunate to have escaped with a quid and not your insensitive life.

This is a terrible situation and one that is unfortunately common all over UK. I suppose when it hits us in the face like this, we really discover exactly what it's like on the other side of the coin. I'm unsure that the cops will do more than just move these people on. Whether they'll actully do something about the dealing is well in their court, but about finding a better place for these people... i'm not sure.

Aviod and stay safe, would be my advice.
Wednesday 26 May 2004 11.31am
I alerted my girlfriend to this thread who attempted to register in order to contibute but without success. She is "in the trade" you might say (NHS) and emailed me this to post for her;

Rather than continue the moral debate might I suggest that
if anyone see's a mentally ill homeless person they're worried about they contact this team -

START Team (Outreach Service for homeless people)
First Floor
Master's House
off Renfrew Road
Dugard Way
SE11 4TH

020 7840 0653

They are really the experts in helping people in this situation.

Hope this helps.
Wednesday 26 May 2004 12.29pm
The moral debate is pretty interesting though.

These people have to consent to be helped - heaven forbid anyone infringe their rights - but what about the right's of others?

I for one am rapidly developing "sympathy fatigue" around SE1 - I'm frankly a bit sick of being harrassed by junkies, drunks, beggars etc whilst performing the most simple act of walking to the bus stop to get to work, going to the bank, walking to the shops.

Not to mention the attempt to enjoy a little time sitting in a park on the weekend with a couple of friends, trying to enjoy a picnic - within half an hour we had been approached 5 times to be asked for drinks, food, money, cigarettes etc etc - with an abusive response when we refused.

It's difficult - on the one hand, you have to feel v. sorry for them, and remind yourself that in London, the difference between you and them is often as little as a single pay packet, but the levels of harrassment really do seem to be skyrocketing in the area - which does make people really tired of it.
Wednesday 26 May 2004 12.50pm
Claire - where do you sit to get harassed so? I very rarely get troubled by anyone...maybe I look too poor and my food uninviting!

jan
Wednesday 26 May 2004 12.54pm
Hmmm....I had wondered if it was because it would have been quite easy to take me for a tramp on the day in question!

Don't think we looked posh, and the food was definitely only very kindly described as a picnic........Unfortunately, there was two spots - we moved after the 3rd time in the first! One was the park just opposite Leathermarket, and the 2nd was one up closer to the river, off Tooley st (name escapes me).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions