London SE1 community website

Gregg Wallace

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 16
Friday 9 March 2012 7.07pm
having tried Suchard (never been to the Miller, always seems crammed with KCL medical students) the problem is food that is diluted for English tastes. what we need is a real authentic thai with all the explosive and totally unique flavours of that cuisine. if i want a bland red curry i can get it in a plastic container in sainsbury
Sunday 11 March 2012 10.54pm
I went to Gregg's Table today, arriving too late for the breakfast menu and instead having brunch. The place was practically empty - there were 5 tables being served, including ours.

I have to say, food wise, I was really disappointed. I had eggs benedict - although a good sized portion, the poached eggs we very watery, the muffins were tough as old boots and the ham didn't add any flavour and certainly didn't help alleviate the problems with the muffins! And though the eggs had pepper sprinkled on top, the whole dish lacked seasoning at every turn. My friend had a fry up, which he said he enjoyed and it was a massive portion! I tried some of the chips that came with his dish and although they looked crispy, they were very greasy and er, limp.

That said, I thought the service was generally really good. The waiter was very attentive and all of the waiters and waitresses on the shop floor looked to be attentive to their respective tables. To be honest, I couldn't really fault them and I think they certainly helped add a bit of atmosphere.

I didn't care for the fixtures and fittings, though that is a matter of personal preference and not one you can generally fault the place on...apart from the ridiculously low lights by our table! The waiter knocked his head on them every time he came near us and I knocked my head on it when I was going to leave. That really needs to change as I am 5'6" so I'm hardly breaking any world records there...!

All-in-all, pleasant, but for the prices they're charging and the quality of the food, I wouldn't go again in a hurry.
Sunday 11 March 2012 11.13pm
I went to this restaurant just before the formal opening. I have to say I really cannot understand the business model. This is a hotel restaurant - which presumably would rely on at least some repeat custom - but the food is based on a gimmick which once tried and enjoyed (or hated) is unlikely to lead to a repeat visit. It's quite entertaining to experience the whole 70s joke but I'm sure it would wear thin after more than one meal. It could well be a success in a pop-up, but as a serious proposition for a long-term hotel restaurant - I don't think so.

I was quite looking foward to my visit having seen a menu on line previously. The starter - crab paste - was palatable if a little spartan - crab meat in a jar with some white toast. The main, though, was a disaster. Beef stroganoff - a very pleasant dish if cooked slowly with good stewing steak soaking up all the flavours of the sauce. Here the idea seems to be "let's make 70s trashy food with much better quality ingredients and thereby have a much better experience". But the road to bad cooking is paved with good intentions. Instead of a succulent well-balanced and flavoured slow cooked beef dish I was presented with some - admittedly good quality - pan fried steak which had been cooked in quite a lot of oil and with copious onions and then covered in a sauce and plated. All I could taste was fried onions - a good steak ruined and a travesty of a beef stroganoff. Added to which the rice was overcooked and sloppy. Desert was mediocre.

I've done my 70s retro evening, had the chianti in a rafia-covered bottle and now want to do something better. I doubt there is much mileage in this rose-tinted nostalgia. (Hands up all those who would willingly restrict themselves to the range of restaurants and foods that were available in the 70s.) All-in-all I think this is a media-fuelled fly-by-night. If it's still there this Christmas the Babychams are on me! (In fact the Babycham was surprisingly good)
Wednesday 14 March 2012 8.34am
Went for a meal on Monday evening, but don't expect to return. As others have said there may be some novelty/nostalgia value in one retro meal, but it is hardly a model likely to sustain a regular customer base. Service was friendly, but when you think how much attention is given to detail on Masterchef the presentation was fairly lacklustre.
Thursday 15 March 2012 10.10pm
Enjoing the thread - some of you may appreciate this youtube find ... through your fish fingers in the air...and chomp down on this x

Masterchef Synesthesia - Swede Mason
www.youtube.com
Wednesday 21 March 2012 10.23am
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

http://t.co/pZPq33EQ
Wednesday 21 March 2012 12.05pm
I like soggy chips!
Wednesday 21 March 2012 12.40pm
TERRIBLE REVIEWS, HAVE TO SAY THE ROOM DOES LOOK BETTER THAN ALFIES DECOR, BUT THEY HAVE INCREASED THE DINING SPACE...

OPTIMISTIC?

I WONDER WHAT THE ATTANDANCE FIGURES ARE??
Wednesday 21 March 2012 4.06pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
http://t.co/pZPq33EQ

A tad personal if you ask me,the bloke clearly don't like GW,i wont be taking any notice of that one.

What's his marriage breakup got to do with the price of fish (fingers).
Current: 10 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions