London SE1 community website

Gregg Wallace

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 12 of 16
Friday 23 March 2012 10.30am
Quote:
Nothing like that Lucy. I suppose I am just less inclined than others to believe that a talentless, gooning chump from a T.V show can successfully run a restaurant. However, it appears there are enough mug punters out there prepared to cut him some slack. Another example of "style" over substance.

I don't think anyone has suggested it's the perfect restaurant or that there are no improvements to be made; I just think some people wish to keep more of an open mind when so much of the criticism seems ad hominem and laced with casual snobbery.
Friday 23 March 2012 10.50am
Guy's street wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
lucysalisbury wrote:
Wow, Pieces of Eight, did Gregg Wallace stand you up on a date or something? ;-)

Nothing like that Lucy. I suppose I am just less inclined than others to believe that a talentless, gooning chump from a T.V show can successfully run a restaurant. However, it appears there are enough mug punters out there prepared to cut him some slack. Another example of "style" over substance.

But you're quick to make the opposite assumption with equally as little substance to back you up?

We make assumptions each and every day. For example, I have never been to a "Jedward" concert but I would assume that it would be absolutely awful, based on the evidence that I have seen. Likewise I would assume that Greggs Table would be terrible, based on the fact that he proves on Masterchef week in, week out that he has about as much knowledge about food as I do (ie; not a lot). My assumption appears to be borne out by those who have been there and have (mostly) disliked the experience. I suppose that is the "substance" to my assertion.
Now, with regards to the food critic at the Metro. Just because she panned the place, it does not mean that she was being personal or a bully. She's a food critic for a tabloid and as such has to be fairly blunt when describing the sheer horror that is Greggs Table. Her main point that it was incongruous for somebody who judges other people's food to then serve up such awful fare was absolutely spot on.
Thursday 29 March 2012 10.14am
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/reviews/greggs-table-bermondsey-square-hotel-bermondsey-square-tower-bridge-road-london-se1-7580544.html

How shameful. Yet another bitter, foolish, person daring to question the might of Gregg.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 29 March 2012 10.27am
Well, on the basis there's no such thing as bad publicity he seems to be doing something right.

I've never really understood this need to analyse a meal down to the sub-atomic level of its very structure. I go to a restaurant, I either enjoy the food or not and make a note to return accordingly, I don't feel obliged to go home and write a dissertation on it. Odd.
Thursday 29 March 2012 10.39am
I have never been there and I don't know the chef..
But prawns and avocado is such a poor dish to offer in a restaurant.. (I understand a corner sandwich shop, anyway fair enough..

But!! a critic who, not only order that, but also like it and dissect it to atom, is in my opinion a miserable idiot..

Now in this case, I suspect, he must have had a lot of bad sex for ages because his runts about the area are out of place..
Thursday 29 March 2012 11.52am
Ivanhoe wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/reviews/greggs-table-bermondsey-square-hotel-bermondsey-square-tower-bridge-road-london-se1-7580544.html
How shameful. Yet another bitter, foolish, person daring to question the might of Gregg.

How dare they! He's a local lad, he's on Masterchef, he likes puddings. Surely the quality of his food should make no difference whatsoever. Rise up Bermondseyites! Protect Gregg from the slings and arrows of criticism.
Thursday 29 March 2012 12.52pm
Spotted Gregg 6.45pm last night outside the Bermondsey Square hotel entrance, chatting away with a glass of wine in his hand to a few people. Perhaps he had invited a few friends to dinner?
Monday 28 May 2012 2.47pm
Went to check Gregg's Table out last night with my Taste Card.

Food was ok, nothing special but equally not bad. The service was attentive, but they seemed a bit short staffed with a waiter who seemed new, and a waitress who insisted on calling us 'darlings' all evening - which I found a bit off-putting.

For 4 of us it came to just shy of 90 with 50% off the food. We did go for the full 3 courses so pretty good value but a bit on the pricey side if you're paying full price.
Monday 28 May 2012 2.59pm
Went on Friday for drinks with 3 others, seemed to be people mostly drinking in there, very few having food at 8pm. Not a good sign is it
Monday 28 May 2012 7.36pm
To be fair, the place looks very attractive now that the weather is nice and the square became a different place, So, I will probably try the restaurant out.
Current: 12 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions