London SE1 community website

Gregg Wallace

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 13 of 16
Friday 1 June 2012 10.57am
....which I did.

I went there wanting to like it, simply because I prefer supporting over criticizing.

But, my word, it was a utter disappointment. It was steak night and we had a rib eye steak, frites, a glass of wine and a pudding for 20. In absolute terms not a lot of money, in relative terms very expensive because it was a dreadful meal. The steak wasn't very good, the chips were bland, pre-fab factory made and the pudding (Bakewell cake) not very exciting.

Service, however, was very friendly, efficient and available. That certainly helps- the staff were not to blame.
Friday 1 June 2012 11.15am
maurits wrote:
....which I did.
I went there wanting to like it, simply because I prefer supporting over criticizing.

But, my word, it was a utter disappointment. It was steak night and we had a rib eye steak, frites, a glass of wine and a pudding for 20. In absolute terms not a lot of money, in relative terms very expensive because it was a dreadful meal. The steak wasn't very good, the chips were bland, pre-fab factory made and the pudding (Bakewell cake) not very exciting.

Service, however, was very friendly, efficient and available. That certainly helps- the staff were not to blame.

Good for you for giving the place a fair chance, despite the negative comments on here. Seems as though GW needs to improve the cooking standards toot sweet, though if the raw ingredients are also sub-standard that could be a struggle.
Monday 4 June 2012 10.29am
Food is a lot better nowadays had the steak a couple of days ago and my friends lamb which was good and so are their breakfasts. Staff is very friendly however I just wish Gregg was nicer to his staff. Last time we were there he wasn't exactly and felt the need to boss them around in public.
Wednesday 6 June 2012 11.49am
I am delighted to agree that the food has improved enormously - along with the service. Tastecard has been reintoduced from 5pm Sunday - 5pm Friday.

Tomorrow I am going with 30 people and we're really looking forward to it :-)

A shame about the lack of 'Lounge space' - but they may rethink that aspect of the new design.
Thursday 2 August 2012 11.00am
I called Gregg's Table on Tues evening to book a table using the Taste Card scheme which they belong to, giving you 50% off. When I called (7pm) they said they are no longer taking any taste cards that evening as they had hit their quota. I asked how many they allow per evening and was told 'around 20'. I couldn't help but think it was all a bit of a lie as I doubt whether they had had around 20 customers that evening. Let alone "around" 20 using the 20 Taste Card. Shame as I sort of wanted to like this place.
Thursday 2 August 2012 1.38pm
The Hutch wrote:
I asked how many they allow per evening and was told 'around 20'. I couldn't help but think it was all a bit of a lie as I doubt whether they had had around 20 customers that evening.

They'd be lucky to get 20 customers a week!
Tuesday 7 August 2012 9.22pm
Every time I've been there for breakfast (3 or 4 times), the service has always been terrible. We've just kept going back because the price of the their sausage sandwiches is great and they are yummy, but every time I've thought "never again." Last time I had to ask to take the service off the bill. Drinks arrived after a long time, the food arrived but we had to ask for cutlery, we asked for sauces and it took ages, we asked for water and never arrived.
Tuesday 18 September 2012 11.21am
what a review..ouch !
Wednesday 19 September 2012 12.18pm
I read Matthew Norman's review on another website and after I had got back on my feet from the floor where I had been rolling around laughing, I was torn between giving the place the widest berth possible, or making a tentative visit, just to see if it REALLY was as bad as the reviewer said.
Can it possibly be that bad?
Current: 13 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions