London SE1 community website

Gregg Wallace

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 16
Friday 13 January 2012 6.09pm
Can't say I am particularly excited about this new addition - it's hard to take anyone who says they want to 'snog' the plate seriously and apparently his other restaurant in Putney is nicknamed Pies R Us by the staff.
Saturday 14 January 2012 12.02pm
And a warm welcome to the area from me too.
Saturday 14 January 2012 12.27pm
emmab wrote:
it's hard to take anyone who says they want to 'snog' the plate seriously

It's his favourite phrase isnt it.. "that just gives you a big kiss that does. LUVVELY".

The mockney fat grocer is making lots of money out of repeating what Roux and Torrode say...
Saturday 14 January 2012 4.46pm
I'm sure some of the posters who are saying negative things are happy to be judged in the same way on their accent and looks rather than the stuff they are actually going to be doing in the future in SE1. Just for information Wallace was born in Peckham, not an area known for public school accents, well maybe not when Gregg was born, now it is getting there in parts...
Saturday 14 January 2012 5.24pm
I don't mind Gregg. He seems quite unpretentious and his love of food genuine. Masterchef is probably the only reality TV program I watch. I'm sure his contribution to the area will be a good rather than a bad one.
Saturday 14 January 2012 9.11pm
Better Gregg than John Torode - all of his "restaurants" are terrible. Mind you, when I mentioned to Mrs ABC that someone from MasterChef was taking over at Alfies, she immediately thought it was Michel Roux Jr. That really *would* have been an addition to the SE1 culinary scene. Maybe next time...
Saturday 14 January 2012 11.42pm
Jerry wrote:
I'm sure some of the posters who are saying negative things are happy to be judged in the same way on their accent and looks rather than the stuff they are actually going to be doing in the future in SE1. Just for information Wallace was born in Peckham, not an area known for public school accents, well maybe not when Gregg was born, now it is getting there in parts...

Also used to frequent The Den as a youngster,another well known middle class haunt.
Sunday 15 January 2012 1.32pm
The chirpy cockernee barra boy act is but a minor irritation. The major problem with Wallace is the fact that he hasn't got a clue what he is talking about and it is blindingly obvious. When the judges comment on a dish, the conversation tends to run like this:
Judge A:"well conceived dish, marginally undercooked potato, slight too sweet sauce means the final dish is not balanced"
Wallace: "CHOMP. Mmm. Nice flavours. I LIKE IT."

I can almost hear the voice in Wallace's head, "Bloody 'ell Greg, you've landed on your feet 'ere and no mistake. You've no idea what you're talking about, but as long as you throw in a few "luverly's" and "gor-blimeys", you can milk this for a few more years.
Sunday 15 January 2012 2.22pm
Millions of people watch masterchef and many of them, like me, wouldn't have a clue either,but we know what our tastebuds tell us,and if it's "luvverly" then it's "luvverly".
I suspect he appeals to more people than not.
Monday 16 January 2012 12.20am
I am not a huge Jamie Olive fan, but there is something about the way he handles food that makes me want to cook, and I do. Similarly, with Greg, there is something about the way he tucks into food that makes me want to enjoy tasty dishes. I really don't see anything wrong with that.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions