London SE1 community website

Gregg Wallace

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 16
Wednesday 29 February 2012 3.02pm
Boiled beef and carrots is a great dish if done well. Just like beer-battered ham and piccalilli: needs to be top notch ham and home-made piccalilli, but if done well it's some of my favourite comfort food
Wednesday 29 February 2012 3.28pm
lucysalisbury wrote:
... Just like beer-battered ham and piccalilli: needs to be top notch ham and home-made piccalilli, ...

I don't want to doubt you, but I find it hard to believe that anyone has actually tried to make beer battered ham hock and piccalilli. Not only that, but that they've tried it so many times, and with such a variety of quality of ingredients, that they feel able to say that it only works when one uses top quality ingredients.

I commend you on your dedication.

(BTW, I'm not denying the comforting nature of boiled beef and carrots to some people. I'm just saying that it's such a simple dish that anyone is perfectly capable of buying some decent ingredients and making it themselves. I mean, I love toast and Marmite, and I can say from years of trial and error that - shock horror - it tastes better with nicer bread. However, since I'm perfectly capable of buying nice bread - or even of possibly making passable bread - that I'm very unlikely to go and pay someone else a hefty premium to make it for me.)

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 1 March 2012 11.03am
I don't think the Evening Standard's review will have anyone rushing along...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/restaurants/review-24039815-greggs-table-at-the-bermondsey-square-hotel---review.do
Thursday 1 March 2012 11.56am
1320 wrote:
I don't think the Evening Standard's review will have anyone rushing along...
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/restaurants/review-24039815-greggs-table-at-the-bermondsey-square-hotel---review.do

Oh dear. So it's not just me then! What's for dessert Greg, orange spangles with a space dust dressing?
Thursday 1 March 2012 1.07pm
oh dear...possibly the worst review i have ever read...
Thursday 1 March 2012 1.36pm
funny review , the restaurnat has always been stuck in the travelodege vain, its an odd space and needs a huge rethink,,

6 months ..? tick tock

a good japanese / noodle place could work,, sadly lacking on b st at the moment
Thursday 1 March 2012 2.40pm
boomshake wrote:
a good japanese / noodle place could work,, sadly lacking on b st at the moment
The new Japanese, Wawa is not far away on Tower Bridge Road...
Thursday 1 March 2012 3.12pm
Very unlikely to get a good Japanese in this location - unless we get an influx of Japanese expats into SE1.

May well get something serviceable which does passable noodles, or katsu, or similar single-element-of-Japanese-Food restaurant, but I simply don't think there's the footfall/scope for a decent all-round Japanese place. There doesn't seem to be scope for a decent sushi place locally, for instance.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 1 March 2012 4.51pm
It's not SE1 but it's close - but I highly recommend Mugen by Monument Station just over London Bridge for very good, authentic Japanese food. Sometimes in the evening it's 80% Japanese customers and the quality and variety of sushi is excellent
Thursday 1 March 2012 5.31pm
I checked out the menu and thought it looked putrid. I hate the idea of paying 7 on my doorstep for fish fingers. im going to be keeping it real in my own kitchen for that and venutre out for all the other stuff I cant make - japanese for example.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions