London SE1 community website

Gregg Wallace

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 16
Thursday 1 March 2012 5.43pm
or Thai...a decent Thai in SE1 is well overdue
Thursday 1 March 2012 7.35pm
Julia7239 wrote:
I checked out the menu and thought it looked putrid. I hate the idea of paying 7 on my doorstep for fish fingers. im going to be keeping it real in my own kitchen for that and venutre out for all the other stuff I cant make - japanese for example.

time will tell i personally think they have misjudged the market, i just cant see who is gonna go there, its gonna attract a few reviews,so lets see what happens i would love to here from forumers who have tried it out.. particularly the thermador..

am always surprised that the hotel doesnt just wipe the slate clean and start again with a decent bar area (that gets use and simple good value menu) so much for the members bar for locals that was promised when it first opened....
Thursday 1 March 2012 8.23pm
Ooh ouch - that's not a good review at all, is it?

I think fish finger sarnie can work brilliantly as bar food, but restaurant it ain't.

I too would deffo love to see good thai, or vietnamese that opens in the evening.
Thursday 1 March 2012 11.44pm
We ate there this evening before reading the Standard Review. It was a shambles. I can't see how the 70s theme is sustainable and the decor is just odd!
The food started ok but the rib eye was bland and watery and then we were given shot glasses of angel delight between courses and the spoons were too big to reach the bottom of the glass. Mentioned this to Gregg and he laughed saying "I know. You'll have to use the other end of the spoon".
The 'sloshed' banana split (at 8) then came without the rum 'slosh' and the kitchen seemed at a loss as to where some rum could be found. Eventually a small jug with a Barcadi shot appeared. I have to admit I'm not a 70's child but this just doesn't seem right.
No better than Alfies.
Friday 2 March 2012 9.20am
BermondseyOne wrote:
I can't see how the 70s theme is sustainable...
This is what surprises me the most, too.

Anyone can understand teething troubles when a place first opens (although there are plenty of ways of getting around that via cut-price soft openings, etc), but the main thing I can't get my head around here is the menu.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 2 March 2012 12.15pm
It's overpriced. And the menu looks, to my mind, rubbish.

The space is still used in a really ineffective way, it still doesn't look like an inviting place to be.

"am always surprised that the hotel doesnt just wipe the slate clean and start again with a decent bar area (that gets use and simple good value menu)"

I'm with you boomshake.
Friday 2 March 2012 12.22pm
Does anyone want to eat at somewhere where the menu says this:

"I hope that this menu combines the style of platform shoes with the taste of my childhood"
Friday 2 March 2012 12.38pm
very funny.. are we sure its not a set up for a mocu-mentary??

findus pancake specials?

the problem with the room is the under used island bar in the centre of the space..
Friday 2 March 2012 4.20pm
is this venture some sort of a joke?? a tax write off for gregg wallace???
Friday 2 March 2012 4.54pm
Sounds like a foodie version of The Producers!
Current: 7 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions