London SE1 community website

Gregg Wallace

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 16
Friday 2 March 2012 6.22pm
boroughpaul wrote:
Sounds like a foodie version of The Producers!

"Springtime for Wallace and Bermondsey!"
Friday 2 March 2012 10.13pm
I saw Gregg walk into B Sq hotel at 6:30 or so.

He had a friendly vibe about him, and he is clearly sweating the details, unlike absentee names like Ramsay.

For those reasons I hope he makes a success of it.
Saturday 3 March 2012 1.13am
phoenix wrote:
I saw Gregg walk into B Sq hotel at 6:30 or so.
He had a friendly vibe about him, and he is clearly sweating the details, unlike absentee names like Ramsay.

For those reasons I hope he makes a success of it.

Restaurant Manager: "Hello Mr Wallace, it appears that badly prepared retro 70's food is not popular with the locals"
Gregg: "Calm down treacle, don't get in a 2 & 8 abaht it. Stick a couple of packs of "Smash" on the shelves, get the Showaddywaddy CD out and I'll swing by. Oi, Mrs W! Get me pearly king suit out of the cupboard, I need to save me posh caff."
Saturday 3 March 2012 12.57pm
I'm thinking there are people that are wishing failure here,I bet Michael Caine never had this problem.
Saturday 3 March 2012 1.10pm
Typical - it's a new venture, it's had a bumpy start/the macro environment isn't right/I prefer Japanese food etc, and everyone piles in to slag it off before it's even got started. I remember writing a virtually identical post on this website when everyone waded in to give Woolfson & Tay the last rites on the day it opened. I would be surprised if it's genuinely any worse than Torode's awful food at the Luxe, which is made worse by that place being so pretentious too. Good luck to Gregg, I say, and if his restaurant actually turns out to be any good in the long run no doubt everyone will be back on here to say how they loved it all along...
Saturday 3 March 2012 6.55pm
AndyABC wrote:
Typical - it's a new venture, it's had a bumpy start/the macro environment isn't right/I prefer Japanese food etc, and everyone piles in to slag it off before it's even got started. I remember writing a virtually identical post on this website when everyone waded in to give Woolfson & Tay the last rites on the day it opened. I would be surprised if it's genuinely any worse than Torode's awful food at the Luxe, which is made worse by that place being so pretentious too. Good luck to Gregg, I say, and if his restaurant actually turns out to be any good in the long run no doubt everyone will be back on here to say how they loved it all along...
All you forty something's out there, you know how it is. You're out with your forty something pals and you start reminiscing (cream soda! spangles! smiths crisps with the blue bag! jubblies! etc etc). Then you sober up and forget all about it. Unfortunately, the talentless berk that is Wallace has convinced himself that there is a market for this sort of stuff. There isn't, especially when it is prepared in such a turgid fashion. This is an "emperor's new clothes" moment for Wallace. Maybe it will do him the power of good. He may realise his future lies in popping up on Masterchef, scoffing puddings and repeating everything the other judges say. It's a living, and it's obviously been lucrative up to now.
Saturday 3 March 2012 8.48pm
Gregg: "Calm down treacle, don't get in a 2 & 8 abaht it. Stick a couple of packs of "Smash" on the shelves, get the Showaddywaddy CD out and I'll swing by. Oi, Mrs W! Get me pearly king suit out of the cupboard, I need to save me posh caff."

can you do any other comedy accents?
Saturday 3 March 2012 8.51pm
they're selling 'british tapas' at the swan/globe theatre, that's sardines on toast apparantly...
Saturday 3 March 2012 10.19pm
pixie wrote:
Gregg: "Calm down treacle, don't get in a 2 & 8 abaht it. Stick a couple of packs of "Smash" on the shelves, get the Showaddywaddy CD out and I'll swing by. Oi, Mrs W! Get me pearly king suit out of the cupboard, I need to save me posh caff."
can you do any other comedy accents?

I'll see what I can muster up. Where's the gig and how much do I get paid? I should warn you, I can't rival Gregg's routine. You know the one, he's been doing it for years. It's the one where he impersonates a knowledgeable judge on Masterchef. Has me in stitches every time.
Saturday 3 March 2012 10.23pm
pixie wrote:
they're selling 'british tapas' at the swan/globe theatre, that's sardines on toast apparantly...

Sounds absolutely horrid. However, pointing out the misguided pretensions of another eaterie does not make Wallace's disco inferno any more palatable.
Current: 8 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions