London SE1 community website

Gregg Wallace

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 16
Sunday 4 March 2012 7.48am
I must say I am a little surprised by the antipathy being expressed here. Okay so 70s revival may not be everyone's cup of tea (I don't know really as I haven't been yet) but it does seem as if quite a lot of people want this to fail. A bit of a shame I think, especially given the economic climate. Good luck to him and I'll reserve judgement on the food until I've actually been to the restaurant.
Sunday 4 March 2012 8.26am
yes there is a certain amount of 'trolling'about greg's venture,perhaps because most see it as an obvious attempt to cash in on the b st restaurant scene, but carried out in shameless crass way, this restaurant would work closer to say oxford st where the x factor shoppers might be impressed by his celebrity and amused by his 70's food.

yes give it a chance,..if you want the chain restaurants to arrive next.. support greg's table..
Tuesday 6 March 2012 4.30pm
Has anybody tried Gregg's food yet? I am thinking of taking a hot date there this weekend.
Tuesday 6 March 2012 4.58pm
bdim wrote:
I must say I am a little surprised by the antipathy being expressed here.
Why? Do you think people are impressed by spam fritters?

IMHO, the default reaction on here to any new restaurant opening is that people get hugely excited and positive about it. If you look at the threads on the B Sq Hotel, Antico, Jose, etc, it was hard to stay dry - there were so many posters wetting themselves with excitement.

I don't think anyone *wants* local restaurants to fail. I assume most people want to support local ventures, and I think the general tone of comments on this forum supports that.

I haven't seen anyone on here wanting Gregg's to fail. Just people being underwhelmed by the menu and service.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 6 March 2012 7.16pm
juanita wrote:
I am thinking of taking a hot date there this weekend.

I would want a whole bowl full at his prices. And with some blimmin custard, thank you very much.
Tuesday 6 March 2012 7.53pm
bdim wrote:
I must say I am a little surprised by the antipathy being expressed here. Okay so 70s revival may not be everyone's cup of tea (I don't know really as I haven't been yet) but it does seem as if quite a lot of people want this to fail. A bit of a shame I think, especially given the economic climate. Good luck to him and I'll reserve judgement on the food until I've actually been to the restaurant.

I certainly have no antipathy towards the restaurant, but only because it is a source of employment, in much the same way McDonalds and Chicken Cottage is. I am sure that it will thrive because there's enough Masterchef fans out there who will eat whatever slop Gregg (what's with the two g's in his name?) serves up. My thoughts on Wallace are already well documented in this thread.
jpm
Tuesday 6 March 2012 11.53pm
Maybe the name has two Gs in it to make us think of Greggs ('The home of fresh baking'TM) that wonderful source of 70s retro food, the pie!
Wednesday 7 March 2012 12.15pm
I went to Gregg's Table last night with the other half. We decided to go for a quick bite on the spur of the moment, so we didn't order three courses each, just shared a starter and each had a main.

The starter of ham hock fritters was delicious, really tasty. Presentation could be improved: it looked a bit slap dash on the plate. For main I had lobster thermidore, which was OK, not outstanding; though the sauce was nice and didn't overpower the lobster. Chips were a bit anaemic which is a pet hate so he loses points there. The other half had chicken kiev and practically licked the plate clean he liked it so much. Very garlicky; not something to have on a first date ;-)

We didn't go for desserts, and they brought the little pots of angel delight which I thought was a bit odd; angel delight is not really a pallet cleanser and it stops you wanting pudding? Bill was about 60, but we had a decentish bottle of wine and 3 drinks as well as the food, which is isn't too bad I don't think. Service was great; waiter was polite and friendly, if anything the dishes were brought out too quickly.

Gregg chatted with us for half an hour, well mainly the other half about football and how the area has changed. Seemed like a thoroughly nice guy. Overall there are definite improvements to be made, but I would definitely go back, not least because of how welcome the proprietor made us feel.

Anyway, some people asked for a review, sorry to interrupt the hilarious accent parodies. I don't get it though, the guy is from Peckham and he has a tattoo of Millwall on his chest, if he spoke differently no doubt people would be saying he was fake and affected. He speaks perfectly normally to me, but then that's probably coz I is common innit.
Wednesday 7 March 2012 12.50pm
Great stuff Lucy.

PS: I have my own ideas what constitutes "common" though,similarly you can't buy class can you.
S.G
Friday 9 March 2012 4.48pm
I agree with all of the above views on the unappealing and overpriced menu but will definitely be giving it a try anyway, perhaps merely to show support for the bravery of Greg in doing something entirely different in risky times.
Hopefully the presence of a 'celebrity' restaurant at this end of Bermondsey Street will give some much deserved business to the Tower Tandoori Indian on Tower Bridge Road. Always lovely when we'e been in.
In response to earlier posts abotu good Japanese and Thai restaurants in the area, we've recently discovered the gorgeous Wawa on Tower Bridge Road and quite like the suchaurd thai on Tooley Street. The Thai food in the Miller of Mansfield pub on Snowsfields is pretty decent too!
Current: 9 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions