London SE1 community website

Demolition of 21 Webber Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Monday 2 April 2012 3.41pm
Aussie Steve wrote:
Just look at what's happening along the river in Bermondsey and around Elephant and all those 6+storey buildings going up in the corridor replacing single story warehouses running south of Tate modern down to Elephant - there's your density! There's even skyscraper's due further up Blackfriars road (or there were - always hard keeping up!) and then other underutilised and unloved buildings further down Blackfriars road waiting for something to happen to them.

I am confused as you your position. Are you saying that the new buildings confirm there is a need for growth or more space? Or are you saying that they are an example of too much growth?

On Blackfriars Rd, there are a lot of buildings that are at or around 6 stories that are far from new. Does that matter?
Thursday 5 April 2012 3.48pm
I used to live in Webber Street many years ago when this site was occupied by Marshall Buildings and the Wonderloaf bakery. Unless my memory is playing tricks, increasing likely, or the building was covered in 50 years of London soot, I don't remember this building. I would be interested to see a photo pre-1950.
Monday 23 April 2012 12.44pm
hetty wrote:
sorry it's taken so long to respond! it was a bakery. it's only a bit dilapidated because the owner hasn't looked after it but it's nothing structural. it's currently occupied with several businesses. it needs refurbishing or renovating - not demolition
the info we have -
"The guess is it is about 1905-10 with various later extensions.
The directories suggest it was built for Maltina Bakeries, and there was
an extension around 1910 which is mentioned in a rag called Concrete and
Constructional Engineering. The
same search revealed that a lady called Violet Gladys Tyler worked there
and kept a diary now in Lewisham Local Archives (A98/9),covering the
years 1937-41. Maltina Bakeries seems to have been reconstructed as a
company in 1920 and finally wound up in 1947."

Thanks for that, and apologies for the delay in looking further.
The winding up and reconstruction is referenced here
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31730/pages/607/page.pdf

It looks as if it was taken over by Wonder Bakery, with the voluntary winding up at Wonder's premises in Wood Green, in December 1947.

THE MALTINA BAKERIES timited.
The Companies Act, 1929.
(Members' Voluntary Winding-up.)
NOTICE is hereby given that pursuant to section
236 of the Companies Act, 1929 a General Meeting
of the Members of -the above named Company will
be held at the Wonder Bakery, 'White Hart'Lane,
Wood' Green, London, N.22 on Thursday, the nth
day of December, 1947, at 12.15 o'clock in the after-
noon precisely, to receive the account of the Liqui-
• dator showing how the winding-up of the Company
has been conducted- and its property |disposed of and
to hear any explanation that may be furnished by
the Liquidator.—Dated this 3ist day of October,

;
COLBOURNE,

H.

Wonder Bakery was established in 1937 - from the County of Middlesex History:

The spread of housing over the centre of theparish between the World Wars left little room fornew concentrations of industry, except along thenorth side of White Hart Lane near the potteries. (fn. 12) Newcomers there included Wonder Bakery, a newfirm which opened in 1937. (fn. 13) In Queen Street, closeto the Edmonton boundary, L. Lazarus & Son had alarge furniture factory by 1935; in 1950 it was acquired by Sparklets, a subsidiary of the BritishOxygen Co. (fn. 14) Building continued in the extremenorth-east, where by 1951 Brantwood Road and itsfactories had been extended eastward to WilloughbyLane, and started in the north-west along ClineRoad, Bounds Green. Factories were also erected onsites or gardens of older buildings on both sides ofTottenham High Road near Edmonton, those on theeast stretching beyond Tottenham Hotspurs' football ground as far as Lansdowne Road. By 1959 some40 firms occupied the Wingate trading estate, whichhad then recently replaced a plate-glass manufacturer's at nos. 784-792 High Road.

From: 'Tottenham: Economic history', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 333-339. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=26989 Date accessed: 23 April 2012.

I've come across a Maltina Bakery in Mile End South Australia.
Saturday 25 August 2012 12.32pm
The Valentine Place Conservation Area appraisal is being considered by planning committee on 4 September:
http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=4296&x=1&;

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 12 February 2013 12.26pm
Just to say there is a public exhibition on the redevelopment ideas for Valentine Place (& the fab old bakery on Webber St) today between 3.30-7.30 pm at 105 Blackfriars Road.

Its arranged by the architects Stiff & Trevillon, they are looking to redevelop the site for mixed use & are in the early development process - they are looking for feedback from the local community.

I'm really curious about the plot - hope the plans are good.
Monday 22 April 2013 9.22am
James Hatts wrote:
http://newmanbuildingsolutionsblog.com/structural-repair-survey-to-property-at-london-se1/
James, thank you for posting this link.

I'm not sure where, if at all, this particular company is in the loop of the redevelopment plans. I think it looks as if they are just trying to drum up business and probably have no actual involvement. As for their claim about falling brickwork presenting a serious risk to safety, I have lived near the bakery since 1990 and have never once heard of any such incident.

I'm sure that Stiff + Trevillion architects can advise as to whether they have had any contact with this company and there's a perfect opportunity to ask them this and any other questions at a further public event they are holding tomorrow .

Here are the details:

TUESDAY 23RD APRIL 4PM TO 7:30PM AT 105 BLACKFRIARS ROAD

The architects will present the next stage of their ideas for the redevelopment of the the majority of the buildings in the Valentine Place Conservation Area.

I have a special interest in protecting 21 Webber Street and have just completed a major piece of research tracking its history since its construction in 1907, and before that into the site generally as an industrial townscape.

This former bakery has a fascinating history and if anyone is interested in finding out more, please feel free to private message me on this forum.

Also, if anyone lived near the bakery from the 1930s onwards up to and including the early 1990s I would love to hear from you so that I can make my account of its history (and the history of the whole Valentine Place Conservation Area) even more detailed. It was used as a bakery from 1907 to 1948 by Maltina Bakeries and from 1949 to 1965 by the Wonderloaf Baking Company; thereafter it was used by Letraset until around 1980, a company that achieved worldwide fame in printing and design with its Dry Transfer Lettering system, and after 1980 by a number of smaller firms.

I will be going along to the event tomorrow to see how the architects' plans are progressing. Hopefully I will catch some other forum members there to say hello.
Wednesday 24 April 2013 2.14pm
I went to the event at 105 Blackfriars Road last evening. Here's what I can remember.

The proposal is to replace the area bounded by Webber Street, Valentine Row and Valentine Place. The facade of the bakery is the only existing building to survive.

The plan is for mixed use (flats, perhaps town houses, office space and, interestingly, retail). Major features of the plan are:
* opening up Valentine Row, in particular, setting the buildings back at the Webber Row end and creating a small amount of public space and a retail unit at the Valentine Place end
* the development is based around a courtyard which will be 'managed' (aka not open 24 hours)
* the offices will be at the northern extremity of the site
* although there will be some three and four bedroom properties, one and two bedroom flats will be the majority.
The buildings will be between 4 and about 6 storeys, so no high rise.
* six car parking places will be provided for the accessible flats and no other parking.
* they have an aspiration to 'greenness' for the development, so dedicated cycle parking and a Combined Heating and Power system.
Wednesday 31 July 2013 9.13am
There has been a lot of interest in the fate of the former Edwardian bakery at 21 Webber Street, which came under threat of demolition in January 2012 until local residents and business owners got together with leading architectural experts and local councillors to mount a campaign against the demolition. The result was the designation of the Valentine Place townscape as a conservation area by Southwark Council.

Conservation area status alone does not prevent the demolition of period buildings and there are plans to redevelop 21 Webber Street and retain only its facade rather than the entire fabric of the building. As a resident of Webber Row who is proud of our local heritage, I have a keen interest in preserving 21 Webber Street and the adjacent Victorian former warehouse at 3-5 Valentine Place. I have therefore spent the past seven months of my spare time carrying out a major piece of research into 21 Webber Street to share for educational purposes with interested residents, libraries, local business owners and Southwark Council's conservation officers.

The result of my work is a 20,000 word illustrated history going back to the 1880s. If anyone would like a copy of my work please message me and I can arrange to send you a link to the document via the Dropbox system, as it is quite a large PDF file.

Thank you.
Thursday 7 November 2013 8.30am
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions