London SE1 community website

Southwark Council Assembly on January 25

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Monday 16 January 2012 4.30pm
@mcqueen: car free days are a regular practice in cities around the world. where other people have cars too.
Monday 16 January 2012 4.50pm
Michael Cleere wrote:
How can we encourage more sustainable travel, especially cycling and walking?
I would like to see Boris bikes & docking stations east of TBR.
Tuesday 17 January 2012 1.51am
I'm strongly against pedestrianisation - I have severe mobility problems and rely heavily on buses being close at hand, and cabs when I cannot walk as far as the bus stop.

More could be done to encourage recycling - where I live we have one recycling bin, the size of a "eurobin" to cater for 18 flats - it gets filled up very quickly and stuff gets placed on the ground and gets thrown around.

Flytipping is a big problem, as the bins get full really quickly and then people just dump their rubbish anywhere. I know the council is investigating the particular problem we have.

If I'm well enough I hope to go to the meeting on the 25th. thanks to Michael for coming on here and advertising this: it is appreciated!
Tuesday 17 January 2012 9.11am
Hard to recycle when provision of recycling bags is so hopeless - 10 days since we ordered them but Environmental services can only undertake to provide them in 10 working days!
Reference number for this request is 8006614925
Tuesday 17 January 2012 10.09am
Thanks for views and responses so far. Keep them coming! I can't help with any individual issues but I will channel everything of relevance through to all councillors. I'll compile the dossier of community views this Thursday so any other thoughts are most welcome up to 2pm that day. We'll then get them to all councillors on Friday. We've done this for each council assembly since they moved from the town hall to community-based locations last July and I know that councillors take the comments very much on board. I can also let you know where you can read the final summary or send it to you by email.
Tuesday 17 January 2012 10.18am
For those who can't attend the meeting, I'll try to provide audio of the themed debate after the event.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 17 January 2012 1.45pm
Just want to applaud you for posting this here Michael - SE1 is a great resource and always good to see the council interacting with it.
Tuesday 17 January 2012 1.52pm
@jamesup: thanks for the encouragement. I've long recognised what a great community website and resource it is and have made a point of getting our events listed. This is my first time to also tap into the forum. The responses people have made so far are doing exactly what we believe community engagement of this kind is all about - injecting a strong sense of people's real concerns.
Tuesday 17 January 2012 2.00pm
meanwhile, the gap between what people want and what the councillors/council do widens :)
Tuesday 17 January 2012 6.55pm
pros wrote:
meanwhile, the gap between what people want and what the councillors/council do widens :)

Smaller Leisure Centre please!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions