London SE1 community website

Southwark Council Assembly on January 25

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Thursday 19 January 2012 12.40pm
I thoroughly agree with the training of HGV drivers to look out for cyclists, but as the cyclists are the vulnerable ones the training of all cyclists should become mandatory to prevent more injuries and deaths

It should be impossible to take a cycle on the London streets without a proficiency test of some kind probably with some form of license/taxation. This combined with the introduction of 20 mph for cars AND cycles should do wonders for the injury/death rates.

For some reason it isn't considered PC to talk about this type of thing but Southwark could lead the way in proposing compulsory cycle training at all its schools.
Thursday 19 January 2012 12.42pm
Jerry wrote:
This combined with the introduction of 20 mph for cars AND cycles should do wonders for the injury/death rates.

I am wondering how a cyclist would know what speed they are doing?
Thursday 19 January 2012 12.46pm
It's a big effort to cycle above 20mph, very few are. 20 signs and road design will influence how fast you go.

The sort of people that can and do probably have a bike computer (me inc.)
Thursday 19 January 2012 12.47pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Jerry wrote:
This combined with the introduction of 20 mph for cars AND cycles should do wonders for the injury/death rates.

I am wondering how a cyclist would know what speed they are doing?
i used to have (well still do just can't find it) a little gadget telling me the speed i'm going and, as importantly, how many micro-calories i'd lost. as i have a tricycle and am not super-fit, the fastest i got to go would be around 10mph. and i still get places!
Thursday 19 January 2012 5.07pm
Thanks again to everyone for their views posted here. I've noted them all and incorporated them into a dossier of 'community views' for councillors. We've also had a number of contributions by email from people who didn't post their comments here but were prompted by this particular thread (and the popularity of the SE1 website) to do so.

I've had to do some editing here and there, but purely in terms of punctuation and a few other bits of language-tweaking here and there. I don't believe I've changed the intended meaning of anything that was shared but I'm happy to send anyone a copy of what I've written up. Or I can copy and paste the relevant comments here if that would be easier and quicker?

Needless to say I've bolded and generally blown out of all proportion the nice things some people have said about this way of doing community engagement.

But seriously, here's what happens next: I've had a lot of responses through this particular discussion and other online fora. We've also completed some face to face and telephone discussions, as well as putting out a general appeal for people to email their views. That's all resulted in what I believe is a rich vein of democratic commentary.

This will now go to our constitutional team who may request some further editing, in the interests of keeping the document to a readable length (and for obvious legal reasons). As you can imagine, councillors have a lot of paperwork to digest in advance of assemblies so we may have to produce a final version of sample comments, with the fuller version available on request. However, based on past experience, even the sampler is likely to run to 10 or 12 pages.

One issue I know that will also emerge is the attribution of comments. We've been advised, for legal reasons, not to name individuals or include any reference that might identify them. But we're keen to be able to do this where the view givers are happy for this to happen. To do this we'd need people to agree the wording of a consent form. This is what that currently says:

Southwark Council is seeking your permission to (please tick as appropriate):

• Publish still photographs or video footage of you.

• Publish audio, video, or transcribed excerpts from a recorded interview with you, or views you have shared in the context of a group or one to one discussion.

We are gathering this material as part of our community engagement work and by way of promoting local democracy. In accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act, photographs or images of you, as well as any audio or transcribed material, will only be used with your full knowledge and in the correct context.

I give Southwark Council permission to publish photographs or video images of me and/or to similarly make use of excerpts from any recorded interview. I understand that any photographs, video, audio, or transcribed material will be used solely in the context of the council’s community engagement work and by way of promoting local democracy. It may not be used in any other context or for any other purpose without my prior and separate written permission.

In the case of comments posted here and on other online discussions, we will most likely have to refer to people as Resident 1, 2, 3 etc, unless you can communicate with me by email and we agree the above consent form. Then we can submit the dossier with your comments attributed to you. There's also the option of just using your real first name, but again I believe that would require the completion of a consent form.

I personally believe that, whether individuals are named or not, the main thing is we are reporting real comments by real people, and councillors will be fully aware of this. They will also know about the variety of ways in which these comments have been gathered. Indeed they have recommended, through the work of the democracy commission, that we inject this level of reality into our connection with people's concerns.

Finally, I can't resist it - 'a non-job'? It's true. Non, je ne regrette rien. United To Serve!
Thursday 19 January 2012 8.44pm
James Hatts wrote:
Nick wrote:
Hard to recycle when provision of recycling bags is so hopeless - 10 days since we ordered them but Environmental services can only undertake to provide them in 10 working days!
Jac wrote:
Took me nearly a month to get a second supply of bags
There was an officer from the waste & recycling service at Bermondsey Community Council last night. I asked him about this and he said that under Veolia's service level agreement with the council, any recycling receptacles that are ordered (including bags) should be delivered within five working days.

He said there had been some problems in the early days of the switchover from boxes to bags but was adamant that any bags ordered should now be delivered within 5 days (ie before the next weekly collection).

Adamant is as adamant does - 12 days and counting with no recycling bags.
Wednesday 25 January 2012 2.14pm
There'll be an unofficial live blog at http://www.london-se1.co.uk/live/ tonight - or follow @councilassembly on Twitter.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 25 January 2012 2.24pm
great, james!
you can now download all the comments made from here http://www.peoplesrepublicofsouthwark.co.uk/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1733%3Acouncil-assembly-environment&Itemid=2#.Tx76GUOoWJk.facebook (southwark cyclists response was not included, presumably by mistake, but you can read it in our article)
Wednesday 25 January 2012 2.53pm
updated version (which includes Soutwhark Cyclists' comments) is now available to download
Thursday 26 January 2012 11.09am
Audio from last night's themed debate in three parts:

I'll post some more audio in due course.

I think Cllr Lisa Rajan was the only councillor who directly referred to the comments Michael had gathered through this thread and elsewhere.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions