London SE1 community website

London Bridge or Bermondsey/Canada Water safety??

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Monday 23 January 2012 12.43am
You know what, I would choose Elephant and Castle (and environs) over Canada Water any day of the week.

Canada Water, while more modern and -- perhaps -- "clean looking" in parts, also has its dirtier parts, and it's really not part of Central London.

Elephant and Castle, on the other hand, has 24/7 buses to every part of London, stellar tube access on two major lines (Bakerloo and Northern) and is an incredibly central location to the most exclusive parts of the city (10 minutes -- or less -- by bus to Parliament, Covent Garden, SoHo, etc.). Basically, every major bus stop in the capital has a bus that will take you directly to Elephant and Castle. It's actually more "northern" than parts of posh Kensington and Chelsea, geographically speaking.

You're looking at a 2 minute tube ride to work, a 5 minute cycle ride or a 10-15 minute walk to the London Bridge Station/Guy's Hospital.

Metro Central Heights is a great building right by the Tube Station.
Monday 23 January 2012 8.04am
I think its important to be careful on judging by appearance, E&C has a certain grittiness which fits with its status as a central travel hub to other parts of London and whilst the shopping centre can seem a little rough around the edges (It's had a hard life and I'd rather describe it as characterful) it has a great vibe of a mixed community. I can however see, as a first timer here, how the attractions of Shad Thames stack up, but I've always found it a little lifeless, though the warehouses are beautiful and you are on the river.

I was going to suggest a walkabout with a couple of the locals here and I'd be more than happy to take the time and wander the area, one of the delights of SE1 in particular.
Monday 23 January 2012 10.11am
Sahara wrote:
Hi,
Thank you very much for your feedback and I really appreciate all of you!!!
I became less interested in the south of Jamaica road as Brendon kindly pointed out. Also I noticed that the rents are cheaper than other areas, suggesting that it would be less safe, in particular for someone who is new to London (I'm from CA, USA).
Though this is SE1 forum (sorry but I could not find the right one for SE16, does anyone who know a little bit more about east sides of Bermondesy and Canada water, for example, areas near the dock? It looks like nice re-development areas in which I'm interested too. Many many thanks again,

East of Bermondsey is Rotherhithe SE16 http://www.rotherhithe.org.uk/
Monday 23 January 2012 4.42pm
Dear all

Again thank you very very much for your valuable advice:)
Honestly I did not expect such many responses then I posted, but you already showed me how nice SE1 people is!

I will take seriously your advice for my rent hunting. I have not been in London yet but always good to get some idea which areas have certain flavors, in particular, regarding the safety and community before visiting letting agencies. I really appreciate all of you and hope this post also works for someone else who will look for their place in the near future ( as I sometimes find some useful by google)
Tuesday 24 January 2012 2.01am
I wonder if this gives some idea,interesting anyway.

http://maps.met.police.uk/access.php?area=00BE&sort=area&order=a
Tuesday 24 January 2012 2.54pm
You need to be aware that anywhere near a police station will tend to show higher levels of crime as all crimes without a venue will be logged with the police station as the venue. For example, most online stuff and a lot of fraud is classified in this way as it is unknown where the offence was actually committed. Given that the Elephant is a transport hub it will have a higher rate (particularly of snatches and robbery) but it is also in close proximity to Borough and Walworth nicks. That's not to deny that it does have a higher rate than some other areas of the borough.Though the published figures can be helpful, the way in which they are put together is a minefield.
Tuesday 24 January 2012 3.15pm
Yes, it's an interesting set of numbers but difficult to read much into them without context.
Tuesday 24 January 2012 8.35pm
I too have found it safe, and I have on occasions walked down Spa Road from Bermondsey tube late, which wasn't all that an appealing a walk but I never met any trouble at all, so I would conclude that south of Jamaica Road is generally fine. The trouble I have had has been petty theft on Bermondsey St, which with all the traffic and general busy-ness is not where I'd expect it. The police have issued a warning about iphone thefts especially in Shad Thames, so there is actually an argument to say that the smarter areas are not as safe as the other more residential areas, at the moment - though that is not at all aimed at getting anyone worried. I think that Canada Water is getting safer by the day, with the new developments and library. As others have done, I would recommend the whole area! Just make sure you have a very sturdy lock if you cycle.
Tuesday 24 January 2012 10.28pm
Give me the Elephant any day over the deserts of Canada Water and Surrey Quays.
Wednesday 25 January 2012 12.13am
Agreed -- Elephant is really no uglier than some parts of North London, and it's very central. After the regeneration gets into high gear, I suspect it will feel just as dynamic as the area around Spitafields.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions