London SE1 community website

Mugging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Tuesday 24 January 2012 11.44am
pbowles1 wrote:
Beware of the Bermondsey St/London Bridge area coming home tonight 2 black youths on bikes just mugged a lady of her phone. Saw them 5 mins before it happenned and thought I know what there up to, and I was right. Wearing hoodies so didn't get a good look at them.

I saw this happen as well; I actually chased after them in a fit of righteous indignation, but they were on bikes, so I didn't have much chance. Like the previous poster, all I could see was that they were black, "youths" and wearing dark hoodies. It definitely pays to be careful when using your 'phone, even somewhere that is usually quite safe, like Bermondsey Street.
Tuesday 24 January 2012 8.43pm
james127 wrote:
I wonder what the police are doing to tackle this upswing in crime -- it seems like they've been silent?

Ironically am posting this just after answering the post to affirm the safety of the area. But as I said there, it was on this website that I read that the police have issued a warning precisely about this kind of theft. Though other than issue warnings, the question I guess still remains.
Wednesday 25 January 2012 12.48am
I saw this happen as well; I actually chased after them in a fit of righteous indignation, but they were on bikes, so I didn't have much chance. Like the previous poster, all I could see was that they were black, "youths" and wearing dark hoodies. It definitely pays to be careful when using your 'phone, even somewhere that is usually quite safe, like Bermondsey Street.[/quote]

Your a braver man than me Stephen,I always worry what they may have on them,just not worth it as frustrating as it is.
I'm wondering if this recent upsurge in robberys in the area has anything to do with the police relaxing there "stop and search" campaign.
Wednesday 25 January 2012 2.23am
One thing that would really help to prevent these kinds of crimes is, to borrow the words of Jane Jacobs, having more "eyes on the street."

For example, ground floor retail at a new 200 Great Dover ST. Perhaps even some additional late-night spots...

Some sort of restaurant or bar at Empire Square...
Thursday 26 January 2012 2.34pm
Hi, sorry to hear you were a victim of this mugging, I actually heard it happen whilst walking on Bermondsey street and you were shouting for help and that they had stolen your phone...sorry could not have done or responded quicker to the two on bikes.
They actually looked rather familiar to me, I have seen them around the bermondsey area before on their bikes and would like to warn everyone for them. Next time I will be sure to take a picture of them when I see them.

Did you actually report this incident, as the police will not do anything against relaxing current measures taking without the knowledge of these type of things still happening.
Thursday 26 January 2012 8.25pm
Good evening. I started a similar thread (mugging on Bermondsey St) after witnessing a lady being mugged this evening at 6:55pm. I hope she read my thread here and report it to the police. The officer explained that he couldn't be of any help (including looking at the CCTV camera at the specific time I have given him) as they need to receive a report from the victim.

Anyone using their mobile whilst walking along the street, beware. It was very busy and yet the two hooded boys did it. I was upset to see so many people walking passed as if it never happened. Out of so many, only a guy and myself (we were further than the others) stopped by and asked if she's alright.
Thursday 26 January 2012 11.46pm
I started a new thread about this the other night...

I got pick pocketed on Tooley St when I was walking towards Borough High St around 11.30pm on 17 Jan. It was extremely annoying but thankfully I wasn't hurt. I did report it to the police but, as always, not a lot they can do to trace the people who did it and I have .

I only just moved into SE1 and the more I read these stories I'm concerned I should have stayed where I was!!

Please be safe people, and be vigilant.
Friday 27 January 2012 8.46am
"I'm wondering if this recent upsurge in robberys in the area has anything to do with the police relaxing there "stop and search" campaign"

I think your right boroughonian. I live in Stockwell and there has been a spate of muggings around the underground station recently mainly targeting young people using their mobiles when they leave the station. We need more visible police officers and their support staff on the street and not what I've seen on Tooley Street. Last week I saw four community support officers all standing inside Tesco at the top of the escalators keeping out of the cold.
Friday 27 January 2012 9.36am
duncr wrote:
"I'm wondering if this recent upsurge in robberys in the area has anything to do with the police relaxing there "stop and search" campaign"
Or because the sun's in uranus.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 27 January 2012 11.30am
I think you'll find that's my head.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions