London SE1 community website

Glasshill Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Sunday 29 July 2012 6.51pm
As an artist who currently has a studio on this site I can certainly vouch for the unique quality of these workshops/studios. The way they are structured around an internal courtyard - visible from the street - creates a great sense of working community.

If demolition the internal space will all be filled in by the new scheme. Apart from the loss to us of some of the most loved studio spaces I've come across, the filling in of the visual cut through between Glasshill and Kings Bench St will be a great loss for the character of the st - making it like a tunnel from one end to the other.

Do please help out if you can - as outlined by R.Heaton. above...this is the last chance!
Monday 30 July 2012 8.26am
I worked for James Clark and Eaton from 1948 till 1957 after National Service in the RAF. I worked at the glass decorating dept 49 Kingsland Road Shoreditch. My Father Dick East drove a glazing lorry for many years at Blackfriers SE1. By 1957 Clark and Eaton also had branches all around the South of England, but was taken over eventually by Solar Glass.
I have a Centinary book with the names of all employees and pictures Inside of Glasshill Street.
Sunday 5 August 2012 9.14pm
Closing date for representations on this appeal is this Tuesday, 7 August. You can submit online - see my earlier post.
Saturday 11 August 2012 4.24pm
The council's appeal statement is now online:
http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/DocsOnline/Documents/243456_1.pdf

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 24 August 2012 2.29pm
The planning inspectorate are holding an informal hearing in order to decide this appeal.

The hearing is on 18 September at 10am, at the Learning and Business Centre, Cator Street, SE15 6AA.
Monday 17 September 2012 4.24pm
Just a reminder the hearing is tomorrow

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 21 September 2012 11.39pm
The hearing on Tuesday lasted all day: developer, council and local objectors all spoke. Inspector clearly interested, but impossible to say which way he'll go. Decision expected in 6-8 weeks.
Monday 5 November 2012 9.36pm
The planning inspector has allowed the appeal, which means that the demolition and development will now go ahead.
Tuesday 6 November 2012 1.46pm
Developers always, but always, win.
Tuesday 6 November 2012 2.22pm
I quote from the news story -

"It would also bring increased activity to the area thereby improving natural surveillance to the overall benefit of the public realm"

Is it so hard to speak in plain English, or is this some ruse to make us think they are intelligent? This kind of corporate nonsense demonstrates how out of touch these people are. Utterly depressing all round....
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions