London SE1 community website

Street Party

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Friday 1 June 2012 9.09am
there will be millions of people in the UK and around the world that do no share your view. wrote:
- A compelling argument for the celebration of inherited priviledge, indeed.
I'm obviously missing something, Mark - what do you think you're celebrating?

Anyway, I wish the Royal family a long and healthy retirement and hope the millions of which you speak enjoy their time off next week.
Friday 1 June 2012 3.18pm
Hello! I am so pleased to see this event and I am certainly attending on monday! I will even try my baking skills and bring some nordic cinnamon buns for everyone to try....I have only recently moved to the area, not recident of the assigned streets but I hope I am not kicked out with my friend attending with me as well.
Friday 1 June 2012 5.05pm
"Could it be that some of us don't want to 'celebrate' the longevity of one of the most pampered people on Earth; an unelected head of state at the pinnacle of a society based on inherited privilege and contacts, and head of a family of work-shy scroungers who continue to live high on the hog while the rest of us get used to years of austerity? "

While I'm totally onside with your view re the monarchy, Phil, I have to admit, everyone getting together to do this sort of thing is exactly what we should have more of. While I think the royal family are an embarrassment, a relic and something we should get rid of at the earliest opportunity (we probably will as soon as King Charles does something stupid), you and I are a tiny minority. There's a republican protest at City Hall I believe, should you feel so inclined.

I'm endeavouring to bypass much of it, although the B. Street gathering sounds lovely - a really good day out and I hope it goes swimmingly. Provided nobody makes me watch that fawning cretin Andrew Marr, I'll enjoy the sunshine and the few extra days off work...
Saturday 2 June 2012 9.29pm
I think I might be a republican if I could think of just one person I would want as President. I certainly hope the Queen outlives her son.
Wednesday 6 June 2012 11.31am
It certainly looks as if the street party went down well on Monday! All the seats were occupied and the atmosphere was great. On behalf of the BSAP, who organised and funded the event, our thanks to all those who attended, shared their food and drinks, and helped clear up at the end. Our next event, of course, is the Bermondsey Street Festival, put it in the diary now: Sept 22nd.
Wednesday 6 June 2012 12.45pm
Thank you all, at BSAP, for organising such an excellent event! I - and my friends - had a wonderful time. You thought of everything - the entertainment was fab, even the weather was unexpectedly better than the previous day.

Thank you - and all the volunteers.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions