London SE1 community website

Street Party

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Tuesday 29 May 2012 1.42pm
Matt T wrote:
Hi, sounds like a really good day. I noticed the flyer for the event says "everyone on the street is invited". I live round the corner and am keen on attending, is there a particular part of the event that is for Bermondsey Street residents only?

Seconded, I live a 5 minute walk away and would love to bring my family.
Tuesday 29 May 2012 2.26pm
"Thirded" for a denizen of Pages Walk!
Tuesday 29 May 2012 3.08pm
Hi all

The party is primarily by, and for, the residents of Bermondsey Street, as agreed with Southwark Council.
However we are not likely to turn you away, particularly if you have baked a nice cake for our competition, but if we get very busy, which we might, we may have to overspill onto Tanner Street Park.

Also large numbers of people will make the distribution of tea and cake at 4pm a rather difficult task, so everyone will just have to muck in and/or accept that not everyone will be catered for or have a seat at the table.

It should be an enjoyable event and it is great to be able share the occasion with the local community, so dress to impress and come ready to join in the fun.

I have should admit, at this point, to being one of the organisers.
Tuesday 29 May 2012 3.14pm
Hi Matt,

The Street Party is a local event, by definition - and the regulations do not permit "advertising" to a wider area.

Consider that the BSAP (the organiser) has a catchment area which includes the Bermondsey Street Conservation Area (which is appreciably larger than Bermondsey Street).

To be clear, here is Southwark Council's definition of the Bermondsey Street Conservation Area (map on page 3 - warning - it's a big file!)

www.southwark.gov.uk/download/4124/bermondsey_character_area

So I guess that describes the "local" Street Party catchment area....

Take a look at the BSAP website for further info (disclosure : I am BSAP Membership Secretary):

www.bermondseyvillage.org.uk
Wednesday 30 May 2012 10.36am
I will be there!
Thursday 31 May 2012 9.26am
Hi All,

I have been chatting with Angela one of the organisers and she has suggested I post on here what we are offering at The Leather Exchange.

Food packs to be picked up on the day via pre-order, also available for Sunday for the river event.

Three options:

1. Grilled chicken, avocado, cherry tomato, spinach, lemon dressing
2. Poached salmon, radish, fennel, orange, red chard
3. Grilled halloumi, roast tomato, red onion, grilled artichoke, balsamic dressing

Then your choice of Scotch egg OR Vegetable crisps

Then your choice of Chocolate sponge or Strawberry jelly.

10 per 'hamper'.

Just visit our website and place your order online.

www.theleatherexchange.co.uk
Thursday 31 May 2012 9.47am
Is Bermondsey Street the only street that has organised a party in SE1?
Thursday 31 May 2012 1.17pm
Could it be that some of us don't want to 'celebrate' the longevity of one of the most pampered people on Earth; an unelected head of state at the pinnacle of a society based on inherited privilege and contacts, and head of a family of work-shy scroungers who continue to live high on the hog while the rest of us get used to years of austerity?

Or maybe we've just got better things to do.
Thursday 31 May 2012 6.26pm
Very well put, Phil. I couldn't agree more (though I'll enjoy the time off work!)
Thursday 31 May 2012 7.18pm
Of course you are entitled to your opinion Rambling Phil but fortunately there will be millions of people in the UK and around the world that do no share your view.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions