London SE1 community website

I'm a Stranger Here Myself

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Tuesday 1 June 2004 12.36pm
I would love someone to investigate if there is still a hidden passage in the Blue Eyed Maid, which used to lead to the prison...

jan
Jon
Tuesday 1 June 2004 1.44pm
Sounds like you've got lots of advice, and only two days to do it all in.

I'd recomend having more days, in London, and cutting the bike ride short, to spend more days afterwards in London as well, because with all these quaint british pubs, you'll need the extra time.

of course, there are some very nice pubs in Wales.

maybe we could arrange a social night while you are here, and show you some places, and entertain you with our stories of London life ;-) you'ld get to meet some real Londoners.
Tuesday 1 June 2004 1.56pm
Jet

i think, the best restaurant for you to go to while you are here is The Laughing Gravy - it is just round the corner from where you will be staying and i usually have a good time when i am there.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/view.php?venueid=43

by the way - you have a great name - like something from a comic book.

Post edited (01 Jun 04 13:57)
Tuesday 1 June 2004 1.56pm
<<maybe we could arrange a social night while you are here, and show you some places, and entertain you with our stories of London life ;-) you'ld get to meet some real Londoners.>>

and then you'd be straight off to Wales, at full speed !!! ;-)

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 1 June 2004 2.58pm
Thanks for the advice. By the way, I may not be a comic book hero, but I am a legend in my own mind.
Tuesday 1 June 2004 3.38pm
"I'd recomend having more days, in London, and cutting the bike ride short, to spend more days afterwards in London as well, because with all these quaint british pubs, you'll need the extra time.

of course, there are some very nice pubs in Wales.

maybe we could arrange a social night while you are here, and show you some places, and entertain you with our stories of London life ;-) you'ld get to meet some real Londoners."

Thanks, John I wish I could spend more time in London. I'm very impressed with this web site and the obvious pride people take in your particular section of London. I'll be riding with a group in Wales and as for a longer holiday, unfortunately, the boss has a mania for work. So two days in London on the way out and another day or two on the way back is the best I can manage--this time.

This will, however, be my fourth trip to "This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle." I'm very much a fan of Britain. I love your landscapes, your pubs, your humor (P G Wodehouse is my hero), and your people. It would be great to have a social night. The 30th or 31st of July or August 8th would be the best for me. If anyone is up for that, it would be wonderful.

Best,

JET
Tuesday 1 June 2004 3.54pm
As a Taff myself, I'm biased !

Make sure you scoff some Brains Beer whilst your trailing around God's Country - great for forgetting about the aching muscles !!!

...and welcome !
Tuesday 1 June 2004 5.32pm
Jet,

As you'll no doubt know from your guidebook, no visit to England would be the same without drinking several pints of our loverly ("hard", apple) cider.

If you're planning to go cycling around the (also very nice now, look you) Welsh borders, then I'd give you two bits of advice:

1) Don't be afraid to stray or even, (for a short while), stay on the Welsh side. The views are lov-lee, and some of the people can speak English.

2) If real border country is betting a bit too hardcore, step back a bit into Herefordshire (county that borders Wales, but also has lots of places that have always been English, so manages to mix safety with that border/frontier feel) and go on the cider cycling trail linked below. I went to school around there, and it really is beautiful. I've heard that even teetotallers, having viewed the area without the benefit of cider, say that it's nice.

Hope you enjoy your trip

"The Cider Cycling Route starting from Ledbury is a good one to follow, especially in the spring (blossom) or autumn (harvest and cider production). " [quote: the local tourist office]

http://www.malverntrail.co.uk/cider.htm

Post edited (01 Jun 04 17:34)

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Bee
Wednesday 2 June 2004 11.36am
Ivanhoe,

You have a pop at someone you labelled a cycling "fanatic" in another thread, which is somewhat hypocritical given that in practically EVERY bleeding thread you bang on about cider. Give it a rest, man. It's extremely tedious to read.
Wednesday 2 June 2004 11.46am
I don't think that was necessary.

&quot;I knew I was cured&quot;
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions