London SE1 community website

Fabulous new cafe in Bermondsey Spa Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Monday 12 March 2012 9.03pm
boroughpaul wrote:
i am going to italy next month...i could do with a couple of thousand recommendations!
Unfortunately more and more pizzerie these days have prefab pizze they just chuck in the oven. At least some still use a fire. The scent of baking fresh dough usually gives away a good pizzeria. I was highly sceptic about Vapiano, as the smell it emanates is increasingly unpleasant and unfortunately I was right, they probably produce the worst pizze I've ever had. I love a good pizza, and for me, no matter what you put on it afterwards, the bread is vital, which I prefer thin with an obvious hint of olive oil. There is a pizzeria in Vittorio Veneto which does just that, and whether you add Bresaola, Speck, San Daniele or rocket salad and Pecorino to it, it's just gorgeous. I feel like Homer Simpson just writing about it...
Monday 12 March 2012 10.48pm
Hmmm... orione. I think you are doing your fellow countrymen a disservice, for my favourite pizza-makers in Paris are of course Italian. I thought it was only the French that reacted like you have done! (No offence to any Frenchies out there.) I think if you knew me you'd probably consider me fairly well travelled, and I certainly would be ill-positioned to pass judgement had I not had the good fortune to spend time in your lovely country.

Anyway, I look forward to going to this new café.
Tuesday 13 March 2012 12.14am
Although the prefab oven is true, Vapiano is a horrible german fast food chain where food is pre cooked.
Is not a restaurant at all even less a pizzeria. And I would stay far from it unless I am starving and everything is closed. It is a bad Tavola calda turned restaurant only
Here in London. Do not be attracted by the nice decoration and the false italic writing. In Italian that does not mean anything anyway. It is bad a bad spelling.

EleanorT. I understood it was an Italian pizzeria bit still. I would have understood if you said better than in Verona... Or in Padova.. But in Italy.. I really have thousands of recommendations
Thursday 22 March 2012 2.44pm
SandL wrote:
It opened on Sunday and will open six days a week, from 8am 'til 4pm.

I'm guessing Wednesday is the one day they do not open. I walked over there yesterday and it was closed.

Shame I was really looking forward to coffee and cake.
Sunday 25 March 2012 7.21pm
S.G wrote:
Thanks for this! Does anyone know if they have a website yet? I will definitely be supporting it, this part of SE1 is often neglected/overlooked. I hope it does well as it is needed.

Thanks for sharing this - but I hope you don't mind me pointing out that Spa Gardens is actually SE16!
Sunday 25 March 2012 7.27pm
Its not in SE16, actually - the SE1/SE16 border runs round the edge of the gardens, but the green space is on the SE1 side.

The red line on this map shows the boundary.

All addresses in Spa Road have SE16 postcodes, but the areas to the north and south are both in SE1.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions