London SE1 community website

20 Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 27 June 2014 7.58am
According to Property Week, the site has been bought by a Malaysian-backed consortium and the approved scheme will now go ahead.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 27 June 2014 9.02am
Oh joy of joys - more misery for QH. I do wish these buildings could just appear, as if by magic - you go to bed one night and there it is the next morning, all up and running!
Friday 27 June 2014 9.31am
What are the odds that the new owners will apply to the council to replace the 119 affordable homes in the consented scheme with an in-lieu payment?

Friday 27 June 2014 9.54am
Odds on I'd say - definitely not worth a punt!
Friday 27 June 2014 10.59am
Are there any images of what this new development will look like?
I have tried Southwark planning and all I can find are the images for living walls and demolition notices etc . . . . .
be good to see what is planned for the site
Friday 27 June 2014 11.09am
Some pictures here:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3810
and
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3289

Friday 27 June 2014 11.34am
How are these "opt outs" or in lieu payments governed, James? Does the council have to accept? Maybe our elected councillors should listen to their constituents and stop allowing developers to create these exclusive communities.
Friday 27 June 2014 11.45am
On paper, London and Southwark planning policy says that payments in lieu should only be accepted in exceptional circumstances and that large developments should have a mix of homes for market sale and 'affordable' homes (including shared ownership and various less-than-market-rent tenures).

Southwark Labour has made a political decision to accept payments in lieu in the far north of the borough as a matter of course, to part-fund the proposed 11,000 new council homes they have committed to build.

In short, the advantage of this approach is that it enables many more affordable homes to be built overall - an understandably attractive option for any politician faced with a housing list the size of Southwark's.

The downside is that is fuelling the polarisation of our communities and creating enclaves where super-high-end properties are the only thing that will be built for the foreseeable future.

The pros and cons were fought out during the election campaign - see http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7565

Friday 27 June 2014 12.04pm
One thing is certain. At the foot of one tower there will be a Sainsbury, at the foot of the other , a Tesco
Friday 27 June 2014 1.15pm
I would not be so sure of the last post, both the shop premises in the new building opposite have not been let either.. at least when I last walked past. This Southwark utopian vision of a lively boulevard seems very unlikely if nobody wants to move in to all the new shops. Probably the rents are too high for any viable business?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions