London SE1 community website

90 Latino folk arrested at Coronet gig as police ask for I.D

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Wednesday 14 March 2012 9.05am
The employers of illegals should have to pay real wages with real benefits to real legal UK/Euro residents, and people should realise that the exploitation of illegal immigrants happens because there is a belief that there is a "need" for this class of low paid worker. If word of this type of arrest gets publicity it will discourage illegal visa overstaying and force up wages, contributing more real taxes to pay more for education and police to help lower the very crimes some claim to be so concerned about.

More arrest like this please.
Wednesday 14 March 2012 9.24am
Well said Jerry but I doubt very much the employers exploiting the illegal immigrants and defrauding the state will ever be punished
Wednesday 14 March 2012 10.09am
I'm always amazed by the number of people hanging around in the car park outside Comet/B&Q on the OKR. Are they all looking for work too...?
Wednesday 14 March 2012 1.59pm
I've never quite understood why it is that capital is pretty much free to roam the world looking for the best labour (cheapest/most skilled/least protected etc) to exploit, but when labour tries roaming the world to look for better conditions it's persecuted.

Perhaps someone can explain?
Wednesday 14 March 2012 5.00pm
Yeah, it's pretty simple.

Laws are made to protect the interests of the host country.

There are plenty of trade tarriffs, import/export restrictions to control where organisations will economically be able to base their work force, designed to protect the host contries economy by restricting or encouraging the overseas inflow.

Organisations generally do it within the letter of the law. Sure they push it as far as they can, but usually not as far as causing a criminal offence. For most organisations that is PR they can do without.

So, if labour is to do the same and try and move to whereever then they must also move within the letter of the law.

The same laws that you and I have to abide to - simple as.
Wednesday 14 March 2012 7.37pm
I remember many years ago overstaying my visa in Bangladesh by a week. I was detained for the day and made to pay a "fine" (bribe) to be allowed out of the country. It's not just us nasty westerners who have immigration rules. When illegals are caught, they should be sent home forthwith.
Wednesday 14 March 2012 10.33pm
I would prefer to live in a London where people with a different colour of skin or complexion are not stopped as a matter of course whilst queuing for a concert and asked to provide I.D and evidence of their right to stay in the country. If this was to happen to you on a regular basis, legal or not, it might start to feel a little bit annoying.

The moral high ground taken with the dubious blessing of 'the law' is just too easy. Prisons are overcrowded with working people who have broken the law and been convicted. There does not seem to be a serious move to police and imprison white collar crime in the same way. The law is never equal for one and all.

Also, you could move all the illegal people from the U.K and still the culture of low-pay would be the same. When has a boss ever raised your wages just because you were born in this country? Interestingly, a lot of cleaners who have been successfully battling in The City in the last few years for firms to pay all cleaners a Living Wage and not the usual low-pay associated with that industry, have been visa-overstayers. The treatment of some of those cleaners has been absolutely shabby but yet they fight on for better wages for all.
Wednesday 14 March 2012 10.58pm
Merlin Rouge wrote:
I would prefer to live in a London where people with a different colour of skin or complexion are not stopped as a matter of course whilst queuing for a concert and asked to provide I.D and evidence of their right to stay in the country. If this was to happen to you on a regular basis, legal or not, it might start to feel a little bit annoying.
The moral high ground taken with the dubious blessing of 'the law' is just too easy. Prisons are overcrowded with working people who have broken the law and been convicted. There does not seem to be a serious move to police and imprison white collar crime in the same way. The law is never equal for one and all.

Also, you could move all the illegal people from the U.K and still the culture of low-pay would be the same. When has a boss ever raised your wages just because you were born in this country? Interestingly, a lot of cleaners who have been successfully battling in The City in the last few years for firms to pay all cleaners a Living Wage and not the usual low-pay associated with that industry, have been visa-overstayers. The treatment of some of those cleaners has been absolutely shabby but yet they fight on for better wages for all.

But it's called "illegal" immigration for a reason Merlin, because it's a crime. The fact that you feel that the swindlers in the city get off lightly is irrelevant. I would agree with you that the law is not applied equally, but the same could be said for the scum who burgle/mug and generally terrorise communities and escape custodial sentences time and time again.
This has nothing to do with skin colour and everything to do with people who have flouted the immigration laws of this country, put pressure on an already creaking city infrastructure and enriched greedy employers by working illegally for below minimum wages. If they were not here, the greedy bastards who do not pay the minimum wage would be forced to do so. Incidentally, I find it difficult to believe your assertion that "visa overstayers" (illegal immigrants) have been battling said employers for a decent living wage. After all, where and who would they lodge their complaints with? Remember, they're not even supposed to be here.
Wednesday 14 March 2012 11.32pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
This has nothing to do with skin colour and everything to do with people who have flouted the immigration laws of this country...
...Incidentally, I find it difficult to believe your assertion that "visa overstayers" (illegal immigrants) have been battling said employers for a decent living wage. After all, where and who would they lodge their complaints with? Remember, they're not even supposed to be here.

The point I was making was that people queuing up for a good night out at Don Omar should not be subjected to immigration searches just because the concert happens to be a Latino one and the police and UKBA see it as a load of possible overstayers. That is not a good road to go down.

Be amazed! It's true. Many of the cleaners who were working in or supporting the Justice for Cleaners campaign over the last five years, who had backing for some time from the T&G and then Unite, were overstayers and put themselves in the firing line for what they believed in despite the obvious risks. They also managed to get many cleaning companies to pay better wages and improve working conditions at - The House of Parliament, Canary Wharf (Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, Lehman Brothers, Clifford Chance, and HSBC) The City of London (Linklaters, Nomura, KPMG, Barclays, Merrill Lynch, The Gherkin, Deloitte, Price Waterhouse Coopers, Slaughter and May).
Thursday 15 March 2012 12.48am
Merlin Rouge wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
This has nothing to do with skin colour and everything to do with people who have flouted the immigration laws of this country...
...Incidentally, I find it difficult to believe your assertion that "visa overstayers" (illegal immigrants) have been battling said employers for a decent living wage. After all, where and who would they lodge their complaints with? Remember, they're not even supposed to be here.

The point I was making was that people queuing up for a good night out at Don Omar should not be subjected to immigration searches just because the concert happens to be a Latino one and the police and UKBA see it as a load of possible overstayers. That is not a good road to go down.

Be amazed! It's true. Many of the cleaners who were working in or supporting the Justice for Cleaners campaign over the last five years, who had backing for some time from the T&G and then Unite, were overstayers and put themselves in the firing line for what they believed in despite the obvious risks. They also managed to get many cleaning companies to pay better wages and improve working conditions at - The House of Parliament, Canary Wharf (Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, Lehman Brothers, Clifford Chance, and HSBC) The City of London (Linklaters, Nomura, KPMG, Barclays, Merrill Lynch, The Gherkin, Deloitte, Price Waterhouse Coopers, Slaughter and May).

Sorry Merlin, i read the justice for cleaners website and I cannot see any mention of illegal immigrants. It talks of migrants fighting for a decent wage, and they would have my full backing. The reason why migrants find it difficult to get a decent wage is because the illegal migrants will do the work for cheaper.
With regard to the Coronet swoop, it is no different from police descending upon a rave because there is a strong possibility that they will find people selling/taking drugs. It is well known that there are many Latin american illegal immigrants currently in the U.K so it would make sense to target a gathering of this group to identify and deport those persons who should not be here (like Oscar in your original post)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions