London SE1 community website

90 Latino folk arrested at Coronet gig as police ask for I.D

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Thursday 15 March 2012 11.23pm
Merlin Rouge wrote:
Boss St Bloke wrote:
I really hate threads like this one.

Me too. Certainly tit for tat as this is becoming is very boring fast.

Some people just don't like 'illegals' for many reasons. That also seems to cloud any sense of decency and desire for humane treatment to anyone who comes to this island.

I'll say no more.

Oh no Merlin, you don't get away that easily. Your accusation that I "don't like" illegal immigrants cannot go unanswered. I do not dislike illegals and I would hope that they are returned to their homeland in a decent and humane way.
It is always a cop out of the left to paint anybody who disagrees with their viewpoint as far-right monsters, totally devoid of compassion. It kills any serious debate stone cold. I am not far-right or even right wing, I am from immigrant stock myself and I am married to an immigrant. I welcome people from all corners of the world who have come to Britain (legally) in search of a better life and I hope they flourish and succeed in whatever they do here. As I have said before, it is usually those legal immigrants who are most effected by illegal immigrants as their already low paid jobs are taken away and given to illegals who will do it for even less.
Friday 16 March 2012 12.12am
What about an amnesty for illegals who have been here for... say ten years without breaking any laws? Regularisation of their status.
Friday 16 March 2012 12.28am
I never know what to say exactly about issues like this but I will bring an example from my country. Just to share a different view of the same problem.

In Italy we have almost every day a massive illegal immigration in proportions of these kinds:

http://www.cronacalive.it/wp-content/uploads/sbarchi-lampedusa1.jpg

http://qn.quotidiano.net/cronaca/2011/08/14/562745/images/771258-immigrazione.JPG

http://www.ilsussidiario.net/img/ANSA3/Sbarchi_Immigrati_LampedusaR400.jpg

http://www.inventati.org/radiodimassa/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/sbarco_lampedusa2_N2.jpg

They come for a new life, escaping from Africa or Balcan or Middle east. Some are bad criminals some honest people. They pay all they have to the organized criminals to find something better but only a small percentage will. The rest will be in the hands of the custom police or worst, of the criminality. Sending them back is massively expensive.

There is a international agreement that says that as WE are the nearest country we have the obligation to 'help'.. Obviously these laws are enforced by the Belgium EU that confine with fellow countries with no problems and they don't share costs to handle them and send them back.

I think England is in a position of privilege in this sense. These people will never make it to England. The immigration here can be controlled better, or at least you will not have this kind of mass immigration that require constant patrol.

It is very difficult to say something about those 90 latin americans because we don't know whether they were good or troubling people. Surely the police technically did their job. But I still think that in this country the immigration GENERALLY brings people who will do something proper rather than nasty. There are exceptions of course!

A happy resident of Engalnd.
Friday 16 March 2012 9.57am
graham wrote:
What about an amnesty for illegals who have been here for... say ten years without breaking any laws? Regularisation of their status.

Brilliant - What about an amnesty for other crimes. Get away without being caught for 10 years and all is forgiven.

Yeah, that would work.
Friday 16 March 2012 10.48am
Gazzarc wrote:
graham wrote:

Brilliant - What about an amnesty for other crimes. Get away without being caught for 10 years and all is forgiven.

Yeah, that would work.

there already seems to be an 'amnesty for other crimes' though, doesn't it, for example, the dragging-a-country-into-a-war-without-any-valid-reason-except-the-greed-for-oil or, more recently, condemning-vast-majority-of-people-living-in-the-uk-to-poverty/despair/workhouses etc?
Friday 16 March 2012 12.19pm
pros wrote:
Gazzarc wrote:
graham wrote:

Yeah, that would work.

there already seems to be an 'amnesty for other crimes' though, doesn't it, for example, the dragging-a-country-into-a-war-without-any-valid-reason-except-the-greed-for-oil or, more recently, condemning-vast-majority-of-people-living-in-the-uk-to-poverty/despair/workhouses etc?

Dear-oh-dear-oh-deary-me.
Friday 16 March 2012 4.39pm
graham wrote:

It's a nice idea, but unfortunately word gets around that an amnesty has been granted and that encourages more illegal immigrants to try and reach the U.K in the hope that a further amnesty will be granted. The ones who really benefit from this are the people trafficking scum who go from village to village, town to town, telling desperate individuals that the U.K is a soft touch and for a hugely exhorbitant fee, they can get them there.
Friday 16 March 2012 5.00pm
Not sure where you get the evidence for that assertion Pieces of Eight, as the jury is definitely out on this one (evidence on both sides of the argument). It strikes me that there is a moral (and indeed financial re. taxes) argument in favour of an amnesty that is worth considering (though I very much doubt there will be the political will to make it happen in the UK).

On this point it is worth mentioning that many 'illegal' immigrants are better categorised as 'irregular migrants', many of whom came here seeking asylum or on visas legally but do not now have the legal right to stay. Regularization seems a reasonable option to me as the alternative, a mass deportation of approx 750,000 people would be impossible. Or we could of course keep the status quo with random round ups whenever it takes someone's fancy and no substantive progress regarding any of the positions in this debate.
Friday 16 March 2012 9.42pm
Southwark Police surely have better things to do?
Saturday 17 March 2012 11.38am
I'm hearing that many 'overstayers' are going home, because if they are going to be skint, they would rather be skint in their home country - makes sense to me.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions