London SE1 community website

90 Latino folk arrested at Coronet gig as police ask for I.D

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Sunday 18 March 2012 11.12pm
graham wrote:
What about an amnesty for illegals who have been here for... say ten years without breaking any laws? Regularisation of their status.
It already exists. You can apply for permanent residence after 14 years.
Saturday 22 September 2012 5.28pm
Saturday 22 September 2012 7.03pm
I spoke to the manageress of Tiendas del Sur on Wednesday, on the whole she was OK about it, a little bemused, but not too upset.
I met with Helen O'Brien of the United Kingdom Border Agency with a few Ibero-Americans to raise concerns early this year, and she appears to have taken all our concerns on board.
Watch this space.
Saturday 22 September 2012 9.31pm
graham wrote:
I spoke to the manageress of Tiendas del Sur on Wednesday, on the whole she was OK about it, a little bemused, but not too upset.
I met with Helen O'Brien of the United Kingdom Border Agency with a few Ibero-Americans to raise concerns early this year, and she appears to have taken all our concerns on board.
Watch this space.

What are your concerns?
Saturday 22 September 2012 10.15pm
who's helen o'brien? slightly worrying that whatever may have been discussed/agreed etc at that particular meeting, the raids continue to happen regardless. the coronet one was in february or early this year (cannot remember exact date right now), then tiendas last week. and in brixton a day or so ago.
Saturday 22 September 2012 11.35pm
My concerns, as a local councillor are that the residents of Southwark are treated fairly by government employees.
The concerns of the Ibero-Americans about their treatment broadly become my concerns.

Helen O'Brien is head of the Bexley, Greenwich, Lambeth and Southwark Immigrant team, of the UK Border Service.
I should have also said that the meeting was attended by Simon Hughes MP.

Bexley, Greenwich, Lambeth and Southwark Local Immigrant Team
Leader: Helen O'Brien
Phone: 020 7238 0003 (calls 09:00 to 16:00, Monday to Friday)
Email: LITBexleyGreenwich&Lambeth@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
Saturday 22 September 2012 11.55pm
great, thanks, graham
Sunday 23 September 2012 1.04am
graham wrote:
My concerns, as a local councillor are that the residents of Southwark are treated fairly by government employees. The concerns of the Ibero-Americans about their treatment broadly become my concerns...

UKBA went into Tiendas del Sur looking for one person, and came out with three who got taken away.

My concern would be that the UKBA officers were following their own recently revised code of conduct as set out in Chapter 31 of the UKBA Operational Enforcement Manual (August 2012):

1. That they identify themselves and show a warrant card

2. That they give a valid reason to stop and ask anyone questions (such as they have a reasonable suspicion you have broken immigration laws).

3. But that they then inform people that they are NOT obliged to reply to any of questions UKBA asks them.

4. That they tell people that they are not under arrest and that they are free to go if they want.

It must also be said that it is illegal for immigration officers from UKBA (or the police) to stop people because of the colour of their skin or the language that they speak (Equality Act 2010):

"In order to ensure compliance with the Equality Act 2010, an Immigration Officer must not, amongst other things, do the following:

- Stop and/or examine individuals in reliance in any way on “profiling” on the basis of race;
- Point out individuals to officers of other Agencies and ask them to stop them under their powers and then refer them to an IO;
- or Engage a person on the basis of their appearance, race, colour, ethnic origin or nationality.
"

I hope all these procedures and legalities are being observed in these raids. If people do not need to either answer questions nor produce identity documents, are not subject to attempted questioning based on their colour or perceived ethnic origin, cannot be questioned without reasonable suspicion of breaking the law and are free to go despite UKBA blocking the exit, then I wonder under what circumstances two other people were carted off.

If you take these procedures and apply them to The Coronet raid, then there is definite cause for concern.
Sunday 23 September 2012 9.45am
To those who have concerns regarding the work carried out by the UKBA, I have a twofold question:

1) Are your concerns related to the procedures followed by the UKBA to locate and apprehend illegal immigrants or do you think that the government policy to apprehend and deport illegal immigrants is wrong.

2) If it is the latter, what do you think should be done with illegal immigrants?
Sunday 23 September 2012 8.59pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
To those who have concerns regarding the work carried out by the UKBA, I have a twofold question:
1) Are your concerns related to the procedures followed by the UKBA to locate and apprehend illegal immigrants or do you think that the government policy to apprehend and deport illegal immigrants is wrong.

2) If it is the latter, what do you think should be done with illegal immigrants?

In this instance (The Coronet / Tiendas del Sur) my concerns are related to the procedures followed by the UKBA to locate and apprehend illegal immigrants.

My opinion of whether the Govt's policy is right or wrong has no bearing on this initial matter as I could think that the policy was right but that the law should be followed to the letter. Or I could think that the policy was wrong and they should follow the law to the letter.

My concerns are that groups of different ethnicities are not targeted in dragnet-style raids at churches, mosques, social gatherings , festivals, concerts as this is not only illegal under UK law it also offends my sensibilities for the kind of world I want to live in.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions