London SE1 community website

90 Latino folk arrested at Coronet gig as police ask for I.D

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Monday 24 September 2012 8.21am
I do not think for a moment that all of these people will be deported. The immigration service has neither the manpower nor the volition to do so. Most will be bailed and then disappear into the system. The only ones likely to go are those wanted for an offence at home. Anyone wanted here will have to be dealt with in this country. Despite the oprobium being heaped on the police, the raid was probably led by immigration officers with police there for safety.
Monday 24 September 2012 2.57pm
beverly wrote:
I do not think for a moment that all of these people will be deported. The immigration service has neither the manpower nor the volition to do so. Most will be bailed and then disappear into the system. The only ones likely to go are those wanted for an offence at home. Anyone wanted here will have to be dealt with in this country. Despite the oprobium being heaped on the police, the raid was probably led by immigration officers with police there for safety.

The raid at Tiendas del Sur was only UKBA officers. There were no police there (as I understand it).
Monday 24 September 2012 3.24pm
Merlin Rouge wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
To those who have concerns regarding the work carried out by the UKBA, I have a twofold question:
1) Are your concerns related to the procedures followed by the UKBA to locate and apprehend illegal immigrants or do you think that the government policy to apprehend and deport illegal immigrants is wrong.

2) If it is the latter, what do you think should be done with illegal immigrants?

In this instance (The Coronet / Tiendas del Sur) my concerns are related to the procedures followed by the UKBA to locate and apprehend illegal immigrants.

My opinion of whether the Govt's policy is right or wrong has no bearing on this initial matter as I could think that the policy was right but that the law should be followed to the letter. Or I could think that the policy was wrong and they should follow the law to the letter.

My concerns are that groups of different ethnicities are not targeted in dragnet-style raids at churches, mosques, social gatherings , festivals, concerts as this is not only illegal under UK law it also offends my sensibilities for the kind of world I want to live in.

Police often target festivals and raves as there is ample evidence that drug dealers will be there. If the intelligence suggests that illegal immigrants will be gathering at certain festivals, places of worship etc, then why shouldn't the UKBA/police target these areas? I am sure that the UKBA descended upon the Coronet as this type of operation has proved effective in the past. If the Coronet raid was "illegal" surely one of the myriad "immigration advisers" would have stepped in by now to challenge it and take it to court. What are the alternatives to these types of raids? If the UKBA do get intelligence to say that an illegal immigrant is living at a particular address, they would naturally go to the property in the early morning to nab them. Then we get the same hyperbole from certain groups "innocents dragged from their beds", "gestapo style tactics" etc etc ad nauseam.
The peoples republic website is obviously a leftist media outlet which believes illegal immigrants should not be rounded up and deported. Ironically, the people that have the most to gain from illegal immigrants are greedy, unscrupulous, exploitative employers/landlords. The people who have the most to lose from illegal immigrants are those legal immigrants who are losing their low-paying jobs because illegals will do it for cheaper. Well done comrades.
Monday 24 September 2012 7.36pm
The UKBA won't be descending on Walkabout or Belushis to arrest the illegal Australians any time soon. Says it all really.
Tuesday 25 September 2012 3.25pm
beetroot wrote:
The UKBA won't be descending on Walkabout or Belushis to arrest the illegal Australians any time soon. Says it all really.
You assume that there are "illegal Australians" at these two establishments.
You assume that the UKBA are aware of these people.
You further assume that even having that knowledge they will not take any action.
I think you are implying also that their inaction in this situation would be nefarious.
If you're right in all these assumptions, it says something about the UKBA. If not, the fact that you would make these assumptions says something about you.
Tuesday 25 September 2012 5.55pm
What will we do with all the legal australians though?
Tuesday 25 September 2012 6.32pm
transportation to australia for life was very popular in 1787 ...
Tuesday 25 September 2012 7.06pm
beetroot wrote:

The UKBA raids are intelligence lead. If they thought there was a chance of getting a result, I am sure they would be heading for Belushis. This may come as a surprise, but a lot of the intelligence gathered on illegal immigrants comes from legal immigrants from the same countries. The UKBA have undercover officers from various ethnic backgrounds who are able to identify illegal immigrant hotspots. It is highly likely that the intelligence for the raid on the Coronet came from a Latin American source.
If it's any consolation to you, a couple of white South African decorators at my workplace got nicked and sent back home in May this year.
Tuesday 25 September 2012 7.32pm
beetroot wrote:

No, it doesn't say it all to me. To accept such a sweeping statement I would need some more evidence or thought led reasoning.
For example:

a) Are you sure that the demographic that populates the Walkabout/Belushi's is of as a high a percentage Australian as Tiendas del Sur is for Ibero-Americans?

b) Consider that maybe the standard of living in Australia is sufficiently high that individuals would not risk being illegal immigrants in another country in a bid to escape it.

c) Consider the number of Australians that have legal rights to be here due to a parent or grandparent of UK citizenship.

I'm sure there are many other reasons, but if you consider these factors the likelihood that any non-intelligence led raid (the argument as the wether these happen or not is another issue) may not have a high probability of success. In these times where funds are limited surely the success probability of any action has to be considered?

I also note in your post that you state with some certainty that the UKBA wont be descending on the said establishments. Now, I love evidence and fact....can you back up that statement with any of the above, or is that just your opinion?
Tuesday 25 September 2012 11.49pm
Sandgrown Dave wrote:
You assume that there are "illegal Australians" at these two establishments.
You assume that the UKBA are aware of these people.
You further assume that even having that knowledge they will not take any action.

How do you know? Oh I see...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions