London SE1 community website

Linden Homes Blackfriars Road development (was: Garages on Pocock Street)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 2 of 9
Friday 28 September 2012 5.48pm
I'm gob-smacked.

Not only are the proposed drastically out of scale with the surrounding area, but the block they are proposing to knock down contains, Imbibe, a greasy spoon, a newsagent and a dry-cleaners; about half of the total retail units on Blackfriars Road. In spite of this, the developers web site describes the site as 'derelict'.

I know that large new developments tend to have to have retail units on the ground floor, but they only ever seem to be occupied by small supermarkets or chain A3 use. Mostly, they stand empty or end up being small offices, adding nothing to the facilities for residents.

BTW I can't find anything on the developer's site that describes the mix of unit sizes (ie are there any family sized units, or just more 1/2 bedroom places?) or mix of tenure (private leasehold/'affordable' to buy/social housing?).
Zoe
Friday 28 September 2012 7.05pm
It's just awful
Friday 28 September 2012 7.13pm
I know someone from a wealthy foreign family who lives in the big development in vauxhall, 'it's just me in my ivory tower & a little tesco'. I thought of him when i saw this news story.
Friday 28 September 2012 7.28pm
I agree, to describe the site, which contains a building as lovely as this, as well as many retailers, as "derelict" is the act of greedy chancers.

If either of the two images actually turned into reality it would be the nail in the coffin of Blackfriars Road. The terrible example of the dead frontages and blank glass blocks of most of Victoria Street cannot be allowed to be repeated here - and particularly given the street still retains some of it's Georgian heritage particularly whilst there are 70s blocks like Erlang House which remain underused.
Friday 28 September 2012 7.29pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
I'm gob-smacked.
Not only are the proposed drastically out of scale with the surrounding area, but the block they are proposing to knock down contains, Imbibe, a greasy spoon, a newsagent and a dry-cleaners; about half of the total retail units on Blackfriars Road. In spite of this, the developers web site describes the site as 'derelict'.

I know that large new developments tend to have to have retail units on the ground floor, but they only ever seem to be occupied by small supermarkets or chain A3 use. Mostly, they stand empty or end up being small offices, adding nothing to the facilities for residents.

BTW I can't find anything on the developer's site that describes the mix of unit sizes (ie are there any family sized units, or just more 1/2 bedroom places?) or mix of tenure (private leasehold/'affordable' to buy/social housing?).

Ben Johnson, planning manager at Linden Homes said 'Our preferred scheme is for a tall building which brings more benefits for the local community, with more affordable housing, more public space and additional community and cultural facilities'.

Not to mention oodles more private flats in Scheme Option One. Regeneration in the service of developers is out of control in North Southwark, I fear.

Also, what happened to the original residents of St Georges Mansions?
Saturday 29 September 2012 4.00am
Thought it would also be good to add this to this thread in lieu of all the recent slippage and shenanigans re: levels of affordable housing provision in new North Southwark developments. So here goes for the record.

19. The site is currently under utilised and not fulfilling its potential. Disposal and subsequent development of this site will provide much needed new homes to help meet the council’s housing targets as set by the Mayor of London. The site will be developed in accordance with current planning policy which will ensure that 35% of the units/habitable rooms will be affordable and all the units will be required to meet Code for Sustainable Homes Level 4.

My emphasis.

From 18 October 2011 Cabinet Meeting - Report on 169 to 172 and 170a St Georges Mansions, Blackfriars Road and Pocock Street Garages, London SE1 8ER – Disposal of Freehold interest
Sunday 30 September 2012 6.54pm
I spend far too much time in various European capitals and one thing you can see in many of them is their ability to mix the old and the new. So you might keep the Imbibe building and use it as the grand entrance to the modern block. Yes you would lose a few square metres but it would be a class act.

Big companies can do it too. The AXA HQ in Paris is a mix of an old grand building and modern glass.

Why cannot our architects and developers show some imagination?
Monday 1 October 2012 12.57pm
Hi - I have to agree with the comments so far. The proposed building seems totally out of context and imposing on the surrounding area - which is meant to be a conservation area.

Also by giving two options it seems the developers are trying to distract attention. Option 1 really is quite tall for the area but seems they are proposing a tall building knowing the height will be reduced during the planning process. Option 1 also seems to be dropping in sweeteners such as more retail and an extension of the community garden which are then withdrawn in option 2.

The developers are holding public workshops next weekend if anyone is interested. The residents of Pakeman House on Pocock Street (where i live) were all leafleted over the weekend...
Monday 1 October 2012 1.29pm
I like the fact that option 1 (the tall building) is shown with lots of passerbies gently strolling around in the street nearby while option 2 shows a completely empty street devoid of any sign of human life.

I wonder why they stopped at that? Why not go the whole 9 yards and depict option 1 under a bright sunny sky and option 2 under a November downpour.

Mr developer, forget subtlety influencing our choices. We live in SE1. We must therefore rather be dumb in the first place. Label option 1 "paradise" and option 2 "hell". Then we'll get it.
Monday 1 October 2012 7.24pm
Merlin Rouge wrote:

Report on 169 to 172 and 170a St Georges Mansions, Blackfriars Road and Pocock Street Garages wrote:
20. The tenants occupying the ground floor retail units 169 & 170, 171 and 172
Blackfriars Road and the yard to the rear have been kept informed about the
Councils proposal to dispose of the site. They will remain in occupation following the
disposal in accordance with the terms of their lease agreements. Following
completion of the contract the new owner of the site will become their landlord.

Idk much about Freehold interest's, contracts and site development. So please bare with me. But could, theoretically, those businesses occupying the site atm be told (in laymans terms) to "get out" by the new landlord, and, say, a supermarket express be put in their place? idk i guess things like that never happen do they.

But please! Whatever does happen, go ahead and build trees in the middle of the junction to pocock street/blackfriars road as pictured http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/imageuploads/ic.df5e3c94b13eac7a8cdeafc995891f05.500x679x1348848829_80,o177,o117,o97,j.jpg Im super serious, I hate the big lorries that use it as a little rat run.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 2 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions