London SE1 community website

Linden Homes Blackfriars Road development (was: Garages on Pocock Street)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9
Sunday 9 December 2012 5.32pm
Bigphil, do you really think the proposed building will enhance the area and fit in nicely with 1 Valentine; it is so much taller than existing buildings including 1 Valentine. The areas is mostly low level brick and mortar buildings and sticking in a tall glass building will look out of place. I agree that Blackfriars Road (South) has areas that need rebuilding, but whatever is built should fit in with the existing environment. It is so easy for architects to design these huge buildings, and they do so to ensure their clients can maximise their profits (and possibly pick up an award or two for themselves). It would be nice for a change, to see an architect take on the more challenging role of designing a modern, new building that looks beautiful rather than just making a statement. I'm a bit sick of all these glass and a' bit of clever engineering' buildings, especially when they don't fit in with what's around them. I'm really not against development, and I do like modern buildings, I just feel that they need to be clustered together rather than plonked into an available spot.
Sunday 9 December 2012 5.51pm
Karen I wrote:
Bigphil, do you really think the proposed building will enhance the area and fit in nicely with 1 Valentine; it is so much taller than existing buildings including 1 Valentine. The areas is mostly low level brick and mortar buildings and sticking in a tall glass building will look out of place. I agree that Blackfriars Road (South) has areas that need rebuilding, but whatever is built should fit in with the existing environment. It is so easy for architects to design these huge buildings, and they do so to ensure their clients can maximise their profits (and possibly pick up an award or two for themselves). It would be nice for a change, to see an architect take on the more challenging role of designing a modern, new building that looks beautiful rather than just making a statement. I'm a bit sick of all these glass and a' bit of clever engineering' buildings, especially when they don't fit in with what's around them. I'm really not against development, and I do like modern buildings, I just feel that they need to be clustered together rather than plonked into an available spot.

Higher the building the more people,the more people = more potential customers,anyway,the people at Imbibe would have got a tidy sum in compensation,that's the main thing.
Monday 10 December 2012 9.31am
The council is now inviting people to take part in some walking audits / discussions about Blackfriars Road:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200181/borough_bankside_and_london_bridge/2891/blackfriars_road

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 10 December 2012 11.32am
There certainly needs to be a policy for Blackfriars Street, but what is the point in doing it after it has all been rebuilt without any plan, as is happening now.

The council has published a few papers about this, but nothing is happening and developments go ahead all the time anyway. Maybe worth reading the two documents linked here to see what the council says, but does not necessarily act upon:

http://betterblackfriars.wordpress.com/blackfriars-rd-se1/

There are the Character Appraisal for the Blackfriars Road Character Area and The Council Tall building study
Monday 10 December 2012 11.36am
bigphil wrote:
With the new building at 1 valentine and the grade 1 refurb happening at friars house, either of the propositions will fit nicely on that site. all thats needed is a few more sites on Blackfriars rd to be updated now.

So why keep The Crown either, bigphil, while we are at it? Prime spot for another 25-storey tower surely/ Or is the clue in the fat payment Imbibe is said to have received amybe? ;)
Tuesday 11 December 2012 12.38pm
Nelson
you saw straight through me.
Actually not really , The Crown is 5 stories high as opposed to imbibe which is only 2 so i don't consider them of the same ilk

I'm surprised that the folks building 1 valentine didn't approach us back when that was planned. we however, are now in a conservation zone and could soon well be listed so i think The Crown is here to stay for now.

The only other building that i personally think should be saved is the temperance society building as that in my opinion, definately has historic value.

The rest of the rd is inter war / post war panic structures built with regressive planning and no thought(fair enough back then) of the growing cities needs.

Please note , these are my personal thoughts and I dont have any town planning, or architecture working knowledge. but like others, its gratifying throwing my 10p worth in the pot!

cheers
phil
Tuesday 11 December 2012 9.37pm
bigphil wrote:

The only other building that i personally think should be saved is the temperance society building as that in my opinion, definately has historic value.

The rest of the rd is inter war / post war panic structures built with regressive planning and no thought(fair enough back then) of the growing cities needs.

The Temperance building has been recommended for a listing, but has not been yet. And as for the Imbibe building, apparently it is according to the Georgian Society a valuable example of that period, whereas the other building in question is the tenement block with the shops and the cafe, which I think is Victorian. Those I think should stay just as examples of what Balckfriars Road has been like originally, but you are right that the majority of the road is boring 50s and 60s office blocks, I don't think anybody wants to keep any of those.
Tuesday 8 January 2013 11.40pm
The BARD campaign to have more responsible development rather than the proposed ones - next meeting on Thursday at 7pm!

Nelson Square Gardens Community Association Hall, 60a Rowland Hill House, Union Street, SE1. (ground floor, next to the Lord Nelson Pub)

The campaign needs more active people to run it, do come and put yourselves forward!

http://betterblackfriars.wordpress.com/
Wednesday 23 January 2013 10.12am
They've submitted an application to the council for a screening opinion under the Environmental Impact Assessment regulations for "Demolition of existing buildings and structures and construction of a single 27 storey tower with ground floor retail uses (350 square metres A1-A3), and up to 200 residential dwellings."

http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9548205

Note this is not (yet) an application for planning permission as such.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 24 January 2013 10.25am
The BARD campaign meeting at 7pm tonight, do join in if you feel this development is not right for this place

http://betterblackfriars.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/next-meeting-thursday-24-january-2013-at-7pm/
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions