London SE1 community website

Bike storage

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 28 March 2012 8.50pm
I use bikeaway as the storage at On Your Bike was much more expensive, and the locker is nearer than me, aloth I'm another 'waiting for funding on my estate' (Kipling, to be precise).

They are pretty robust and the makers do say you can leave bags in them although they have no bottom with a small gap for drainage I assume around them. Theres also a handy hook, mine had a free(?) bikeaway branded high viz jacket
Zoe
Thursday 29 March 2012 6.41am
http://www.cyclemanagement.co.uk/lockers.aspx

Here's the link for bikeaway, they have quite a few around here.
Thursday 29 March 2012 10.17am
Our BikeAway lockers were installed about 4 years ago on the Arnold Estate with minimal fuss/delay. The council had to agree the (3) locations with the TRA but it only took about 6 months in all I believe. I love my locker - it's 35 per year (managed by BikeAway). I think we still have spares so as long as the TRA and BikeAway were willing it would be good to see them used.
Thursday 29 March 2012 11.32am
Planning permission granted 13 lockers should be installed before end of May on Neckinger Estate. Must say we by the sounds of it we've done well. I think the police helped with ours as we had had a lot of bicycles stolen, not sure.
Monday 18 March 2013 2.36pm
I emailed Bikeaway yesterday as am interested in renting one of the lockers on the Neckinger Estate, having recently moved in round the corner.

Despite there (according to the website) being 11 of the 16 lockers available, I've just received a response from Bikeaway saying they can't rent me a locker because I don't live on that estate and they were funded by the council.

So why is the council funding these for some residents and not for others?
Monday 18 March 2013 6.11pm
I use Bikeaway and they are pretty spacious. I put the bike in the locker and then hang my panier bags on the bar beneath the seatpost. My only grouse is that because my bike is Dutch-style with high handlebars, I have to faff about folding down the handlebars to get it in the locker. It was only because someone on here give me a good tip on how to do it that I managed it. I also had a heck of a job getting an insurance company to cover my bike because the locker is not within the boundary of my property. Other than that, they are fine. I use the Hayles Street ones.
Zoe
Monday 18 March 2013 6.23pm
Guy's street wrote:
I emailed Bikeaway yesterday as am interested in renting one of the lockers on the Neckinger Estate, having recently moved in round the corner.
Despite there (according to the website) being 11 of the 16 lockers available, I've just received a response from Bikeaway saying they can't rent me a locker because I don't live on that estate and they were funded by the council.

Hi Guy's Street, I suspect that the funding came from Housing, which is why they are limited to those who live on the estate. Can understand your frustration though, particularly if they are empty.
Monday 18 March 2013 8.44pm
Guy's street wrote:

My T&RA got 'Cleaner Greener Safer' funding for some of these lockers but when I asked for the keys to rent them out I was told that the council had arranged for the company to do this. However, it was my impression that they would be rented out to the general public.
Zoe
Monday 18 March 2013 10.07pm
If it's CGS then they should be rented out to any resident, perhaps the company involved does both types (both housing and CGS funded) and has become confused.
jpm
Tuesday 19 March 2013 7.33am
We've got bikeaway lockers on my estate (JMB), many of which are empty.

I'm sure the JMB wouldn't mind non-residents having the lockers.

JP
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions