London SE1 community website

Borough Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6
Friday 20 April 2012 1.38pm
Good afternoon,

I think if the plan for the three crown square go ahead as planned , then a clear separation will b emade between take away food and raw/fresh products.

People will be able to shop for raw/fresh products, without going into the area of the market where the take away food is served.

I think this will be a great thing for everyone
Friday 20 April 2012 5.37pm
Unless they allocate a third of the market as a seated area, not possible. It looks as if the majority of traders runs a take-away business. With Tim Lang encouraging a tourist destination, Camilla Mcgibbon promoting a covent Garden set up and Donald Hyslop at the Tate snd Better Banskside supporting tourism, I fear Borough Market is doomed.
Saturday 21 April 2012 10.26am
I believe that far from being doomed Borough Market is thriving. The few nay-sayers here don't appear to understand that change is what London is good at. When I moved here 14 years ago Borough Market looked on the way out, the wholesale market could have gone the way of Covent garden or Billingsgate and the area given over to more residential or office developments. In fact from very modest beginnings a retail market developed and is now flourishing. The Maltby Street traders have exercised their right to move and their new Market is great to buy from too with a very different feel to Borough. We should be thankful that SE1 has an abundance of choice like this.
Saturday 21 April 2012 2.27pm
Jerry wrote:
I believe that far from being doomed Borough Market is thriving. The few nay-sayers here don't appear to understand that change is what London is good at. When I moved here 14 years ago Borough Market looked on the way out, the wholesale market could have gone the way of Covent garden or Billingsgate and the area given over to more residential or office developments. In fact from very modest beginnings a retail market developed and is now flourishing. The Maltby Street traders have exercised their right to move and their new Market is great to buy from too with a very different feel to Borough. We should be thankful that SE1 has an abundance of choice like this.
I think there is more than a few "nay-sayers". London is about change, but there is change and change. To turn the whole place into one big Starbucks kills off any future opportunities for change, it's more of a dead end street. Saying "we" should be thankful for the abundance of choice is missing the point. I appreciate MS etc. for what it is, but the reasons places like it came to be are anything but positive. It's more like David standing up to one ugly Goliath.
Saturday 21 April 2012 2.46pm
I must have missed the opening of Starbucks in Borough Market. Is it cloaked? I'm also old enough to remember when the idea of coffee in most London cafes was nescafe or nothing, even Starbucks is an improvement on that, though only just! I wouldn't want one in the market though and I see no evidence for that.
It's more like David standing up to one ugly Goliath. wrote:
A touch melodramatic I think.
Saturday 21 April 2012 8.17pm
Its very good to see the Original roof going back up .The Original iron work is looking superb and brightening up the dull viaduct, they should go further and duplicates some of the iron motifs, and line the whole of the viaduct with it,

if they had designed a new roof in the style of the replacement building for green dragon court people really would have had something to complain about ,

As for green dragon court, now Thames link is approaching completion we can clearly see that there was no real reason why they couldn’t have reconstructed at least part of the demolished building in brick,more or less as it was, as it is I the new glass building has all the fines of a network rail ticket office, very similar to the Black friars ticket office,
We can only hope that when the market occupies it Borough market-isation takes hold and it is adorned with some sort of caricature, I’m sure this will happen.

I now see Venopolis as part of and Borough market .
If people think its like Covent garden thank god , you wouldn’t want it to end up like Chappel st market.

As for the other parts of Themes link Black friar bridge,
The restoration of the original parts of the bridge is looking good , but non of the modern additions have any Attractive aspect what so ever. The staircase up is ugly, and the river side on the other side looks like it has teeth missing, but hopfully when the scafolding comes down the Orginal parts of the bridge will shine through, lets hope.
Saturday 21 April 2012 9.50pm
Jerry wrote:
I must have missed the opening of Starbucks in Borough Market. Is it cloaked? I'm also old enough to remember when the idea of coffee in most London cafes was nescafe or nothing, even Starbucks is an improvement on that, though only just! I wouldn't want one in the market though and I see no evidence for that.
It's more like David standing up to one ugly Goliath. wrote:
A touch melodramatic I think.
I was referring to London in general where every high street develops the same pattern: Starbucks , Pret, Tesco Metro etc. That's what's choking the "changing London" you refer to. I am old enough to remember London when it was truly versatile. The Olympics are sponsored by McD, for flip's sake. BM is like that: a (wannabe) corporate Goliath. Maltby Street is (was) a David trying to fight/resist/offer an alternative to that. Nothing melodramatic about that, just reluctant realism. But hey, whatever.
Sunday 22 April 2012 10.45pm
I loved West Country Venison and in the early days of the Network Rail rebuilding they got given a leaky stall under the arches with a six month lease and told if they didn't like runoff water going into their freezers they could pay thousands of pounds to fix it themselves.
I loved the exotic sweets lady and she got driven out rather earlier. As did the herb lady.
I support the traders.
As a customer who wants to buy nice things I support them.
They go I go.
I went.
Tuesday 1 May 2012 1.09pm
damc - I am not clear what you are trying to achieve.

Whereas in your early posts you were asking a lot of questions and appeared to be a relative outsider to the politics of the market and its environs, it is becoming increasingly apparent that you have an axe to grind.

Although I strongly believe that the custodians of important civic assets like the market should have a measure of accountability, it is tiresome when people use this forum to pursue grudges or feuds.

I've had to remove your latest post from public view, and I am now placing further discussion of the market's internal politics off-limits for at least the next month.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6

This thread has been closed
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions