London SE1 community website

Nimby Council at Maltby Street.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Monday 9 April 2012 12.07pm
spartacus wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
It's a shame that Southwark Council have never been as officious with the hordes of people congregating outside the Market Porter pub on Stoney Street, drinks in hand, blocking the pavement and road.

I believe they have, the staff there try to 'police' the hordes by defining an area of the pavement with tape. Unfortunately the boundary is regularly ignored by drinkers, and in any event anyone trying to walk past the pub is always forced into the road.

Does the pavement belong to the pub? It would be best if staff just stood at the doors and said, "sorry mate, you can't bring your drinks outside". But that would mean of course that the Porter's takings go down. Instead, they just use the public highway (including the pavement) as their beer garden.
Monday 9 April 2012 12.39pm
I've never been in monmouth but just a thought,could it be some kind of fire (escape)regulation?
Monday 9 April 2012 2.32pm
As regards the Market Porter, I would have thought it would make sense to close the roads on that corner at the weekend.
Monday 9 April 2012 3.40pm
Tolstoy wrote:
As regards the Market Porter, I would have thought it would make sense to close the roads on that corner at the weekend.

That would mean a lot of people couldn't drive their car home because Park Street is one way. One solution would be to reverse the direction of the section of Redcross Way between Southwark Street and Park Street.
Monday 9 April 2012 4.02pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
spartacus wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
It's a shame that Southwark Council have never been as officious with the hordes of people congregating outside the Market Porter pub on Stoney Street, drinks in hand, blocking the pavement and road.

I believe they have, the staff there try to 'police' the hordes by defining an area of the pavement with tape. Unfortunately the boundary is regularly ignored by drinkers, and in any event anyone trying to walk past the pub is always forced into the road.

Does the pavement belong to the pub? It would be best if staff just stood at the doors and said, "sorry mate, you can't bring your drinks outside". But that would mean of course that the Porter's takings go down. Instead, they just use the public highway (including the pavement) as their beer garden.

Always been the case that the streets outside the (original) Wheatsheaf and M/Porter were an informal beer garden, with people perched on wood pallets from the market and shop doorsteps. Possibly the only way to eradicate the noise and nuisance this causes is a total ban on drinking alcohol in our streets.

I'm told the council has had occasional attempts to 'tidy-up' the encroachment onto the pavement and roads of chairs, tables etc., but these usually reappear. The most blatant example at the moment is the empire of 'Brood' Cafe (near the Cathedral) which seems to have expanded relentlessly in the last year or so.
Zoe
Monday 9 April 2012 4.37pm
I say ban all drinking in the street!
Monday 9 April 2012 7.34pm
Zoe wrote:
I say ban all drinking in the street!

Hear Hear! I seem to recall a couple of years ago, the Porter actually putting a portaloo in Park Street (on the road) on a Friday night for their street drinking patrons! What Chutzpah!
Monday 9 April 2012 10.15pm
I bet you'd like a "unless accompanied by food" clause in that.
Tuesday 10 April 2012 12.51am
Drinking outside in the street is one of the few great things Britain has left. Let's not get rid of it please or herd everyone in like cattle behind a load of ropes. One of the few instances where people feel they can actually reclaim and enjoy the streets of the towns they live and work in.

Wish Market Porter had a better selection of booze though.
Zoe
Tuesday 10 April 2012 7.33am
You might be reclaiming the streets, but we have to sit and listen and clean up the vomit later.

The streets don't belong to pubs and their patrons, they belong to all of us and shouldn't be dominated by a bunch of drunks - with or without food.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions