London SE1 community website

Nimby Council at Maltby Street.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Tuesday 10 April 2012 9.45am
boroughonian wrote:
I bet you'd like a "unless accompanied by food" clause in that.

No. All businesses who wish to allow their patrons to spill out on the streets should request permission and it is only after they can demonstrably prove that their actions do not inconvenience pedestrians, should permission be given.
Tuesday 10 April 2012 12.51pm
OK fair enough POE,I was thinking that a ban on ALL street drinking might include the tables outside cafes/restaraunts,presumably permission has been sought and granted.
I was always under the impression that pubs owned their immediate forecourts,a friend who ran a pub and was struggling, had all sorts of stalls outside on the forecourt/pavement to supplement his business,I don't think he needed to inform anyone or seek permission.
Tuesday 10 April 2012 3.04pm
boroughonian wrote:
OK fair enough POE,I was thinking that a ban on ALL street drinking might include the tables outside cafes/restaraunts,presumably permission has been sought and granted.
I was always under the impression that pubs owned their immediate forecourts,a friend who ran a pub and was struggling, had all sorts of stalls outside on the forecourt/pavement to supplement his business,I don't think he needed to inform anyone or seek permission.

Agrred, if a cafe/restaurant has not got permission, they should not be placing anything outside. Many pubs do have forecourts, but forecourts are generally not part of the public highway. Many businesses do have a demised area which extends out to part of the pavement. This would clearly be shown on their leases and can easily be checked by the Council. It would be inconceivable that a pub/restaurant/cafe etc would have a demised area which occupied the whole width of a public pavement and I assume it would be illegal for the council to grant permission for a business to do such a thing.
The Porter actively encourages punters to block the entire pavement by selling booze to more people than it's licenced premises capacity and then placing barriers around this particular paved area, thus "policing" an area which they have no ownership over anyway. The answer is simple, when the pub is full, they should turn punters away and then stop punters from wandering out of the pub with their pints in hand. From a personal perspective, I'm always amazed that somebody would spend 4+ for a pint and then go and stand with their mates in the road. They could get some bottles from Sainsburys down the road and have exactly the same "experience"!
Tuesday 10 April 2012 4.21pm
yes agree,could be worse though,the residents of Roupell st have had to endure a lot of noise from the pub halfway down (can't remember the name)punters use window cills as a bar!
Tuesday 10 April 2012 5.44pm
I get very annoyed when I can't walk down a street because of drinkers obstructing the pavement; it shouldn't be allowed. What really annoys me is that 'punters' can pay their 4 for a pint and drink on the street without hassle from the police and yet someone drinking from their 1 bottle of cider can have it taken off them and poured down the drain. I have seen this happen on the same street. IMO if you say yes to the pub drinkers on the public highways, you have to say yes to the street-drinkers and I wouldn't want that.
Zoe
Tuesday 10 April 2012 5.59pm
boroughonian wrote:
yes agree,could be worse though,the residents of Roupell st have had to endure a lot of noise from the pub halfway down (can't remember the name)punters use window cills as a bar!

Actually, noise tests in our block has revealed that the noise from Isabella Street is in breach of all agreed safe noise limits and it potentially impacting upon our health.

I am always amazed at the drinkers in Roupell Street, do they have no manners at all.
Tuesday 10 April 2012 7.37pm
Zoe wrote:
You might be reclaiming the streets, but we have to sit and listen and clean up the vomit later

Very melodramatic.

I thought about your post and tried to remember the last time I encountered a pavement pizza on the way to work (I reckon I walk past 20+ pubs on my travel twice a day)

I can't remember any.
Zoe
Tuesday 10 April 2012 7.43pm
Lucky you, for me it was Friday morning.
Tuesday 10 April 2012 7.53pm
Top Tip.

Keep off the alchopops Zoe ;-)
Zoe
Wednesday 11 April 2012 6.19am
lol, yes they do me in
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions