London SE1 community website

Bird watchers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 11 April 2012 6.27am
Sorry but I cant wait to see the parrots. Love looking out for the different kind of birds locally , I was so happy the other day when I heard a sparrow in the garden, I've not heard them or seen them for years round here. It looks like they are making a nest in a man made hole in the wall. As I write this I can hear a wren singing , heaven & happiness :-)
Wednesday 11 April 2012 10.11am
Fantastic response, so happy it's not just me who likes birds!
So who's up for a bird club thing, where we can find places to watch them?

- Geoff
Wednesday 11 April 2012 10.11am
LOVELY pictures too!!! Brilliant!
Wednesday 11 April 2012 11.58am
Wow - I didn't know we had Goldfinches. If anyone wants to encorage them put out Niger seeds - they LOVe them (you can get them from petfood stores)
Wednesday 9 May 2012 12.31pm
Hello,

We have just heard about this forum from Better Bankside, and excited to make contact with local birdwatchers. Two years ago, as part of the 2010 London Festival Of Architecture, 51% Studios Architecture was commissioned by The Architecture Foundation to create a series of nest boxes for the birds of bankside, including Starlings and London’s House Spar­rows, which are alarm­ingly in decline. The project was delivered in collaboration with ornithologist Peter Holden. You can find our more about it here: http://urbanbirds.net/

If you happen to be in town and spontaneously free tonight [May 9th] we'd be honoured if you were able to join us for a short presentation about this and some other of our recent projects, followed by an informal discussion about urban ecologies and wildlife.

We will be also be launching a monitoring project for the Bankside Nestworks, calling for volunteers to help us assess which ones are being used and how. We are looking for volunteers to monitor a box and its environs for 20 minutes 1-3 times a week from 15 May - 15 June. The project will kick off with a guided walk through the area by ornithologist Peter Holden and Catherine du Toit of 51% Studios Architecture on Sunday 20th May, time to be confirmed.

If you are not able to join us tonight, but would like to be part of the monitoring project, please do get in touch on info@51pct.com.

The talk is the closing event for Architecture for Humanity's week long 'Ideas on a Postcard Please' starting at 6.30pm at 54 Rivington Street EC2 A3QN. Link to event is here.

Warm regards from 51% team.
Wednesday 9 May 2012 6.17pm
Interesting and a good idea.

You should come further west where there are a lot of birds. In particular there is a bush on the corner of Roupell St and Theed st which is full of noisy sparrows but I have never seen one in my garden which is about 100 yds away.

Very odd, and if you can explain it that would be helpful.
Wednesday 9 May 2012 8.35pm
Put out sunflower seeds, and make some sort of water feature they feel safe drinking and bathing at, and they will come.
Thursday 10 May 2012 11.52am
Hi 51% Team, fantastic! I have just emailed you.
Is anyone getting involved?

Btw, saw a woodpecker in Tabard Gardens!!

- Geoff
Thursday 10 May 2012 1.31pm
I did not know magpies were cannibals. I was shocked last week at aorund 8pm, I heard a racket in the garden and 2 sparrows were attacking a magpie that had just stolen their almost fully grown baby! I clapped my hands and the magpie let go of the baby. The sparrows kept on chasing it but it stayed nearby. The poor little baby bird died in my hand 10 minutes later. The sparrows would not let the magpie come back to eat it, even the next morning. Eventually the magpie managed to remove some of its feathers but did not actually eat it. A week later, the dead bird is still there, uneaten (strange that there are no rats or foxes about to eat that easy dinner).
Thursday 10 May 2012 4.37pm
We've started getting three avian visitors to our balcony in the past few days. I'm rubbish with birds, but looking at the RSPB's website make me think that they're chiffchaffs - although my visitors' beaks (I think) are more like a sparrow's. Anybody any ideas? I'd like to buy the right food for them.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions