London SE1 community website

Bird watchers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Friday 11 May 2012 4.52pm
LA, most likley greenfinches if their beaks are like a sparrows. Ther are a lot of them in London this year, saw some around St Pauls this week. Chiffchaffs have narrow, insect eating beaks and rarely move in groups.. Finches eat seeds mainly.
Friday 11 May 2012 10.45pm
Thanks theedy! Just had a look on the RSPB website - don't remember the yellow on the wing but definitely the right shape, so I'm sure you're right. I've just bought a window bird feeder so I can get a closer look. Thanks again :)
Saturday 12 May 2012 7.35pm
They prob are Greenfinches, we have LOADS in our garden (I live in Borough).
Amazing birds, but very very shy.
They love seed feeders, especially the seeds I get.

The seeds I get that the birds in my garden LOVE are from Poundland.
HUGE bag for a quid and they love it.

Got a breeding pair of robins now, soooo cute!!
Anyone still up for a local birdwatch group???

- Geoff
Saturday 19 May 2012 8.31pm
This was just uploaded to YouTube:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Saturday 19 May 2012 9.02pm
I can't believe this is a real bird! Ace footage.
Sunday 20 May 2012 9.27pm
That bird is SOOO cute, do you know what tree it was, as I live near Tabard and would love to see it!
Sunday 20 May 2012 10.09pm
I thought I heard a woodpecker in Spa Park the other day but thought I must be imagining it. Maybe I wasn't!
Monday 21 May 2012 9.18am
I've just been to Tabard Gardens and saw that nest with the baby woodpecker!
It was making that alarm call noise cos a squirrel was pulling branches off near the nest.

I also saw a nest of parrakeets!! Really cute birds as babies.

- Geoff
Friday 8 June 2012 5.20pm
We're now getting greenfinches and goldfinches to our balcony! Never knew London was home to such exotic birds ;)

Did anyone see this beauty in Tower Bridge Piazza this afternoon? Photos courtesy of Mr London Aye:

Saturday 23 June 2012 4.47am
Any movement on the informal bird watching group? Have been looking on my local patch around Borough but feel a bit awkward using my bins. Was in Tabard Gardens earlier this week in very residential area where there seemed to be a lot of bird activity but did get a few second glances - expect people would get used to me but if there were a few of us it would be better. Due to change in circumstances can do day time now as well as some evenings.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions